Dry Crank?? 2002 426

I had a problem with my 200 426's kick start locking up that i posted on here, someone said it could be an idler gear. I took it the the mech and he said he thinks it is a dry crank.. can anyone in-lighten me on what this is and how much its gona cost to fix.. thanks...

well you need to know ecaxtly whats wrong to know what you will be replacing.

I had a problem with my 200 426's kick start locking up that i posted on here, someone said it could be an idler gear. I took it the the mech and he said he thinks it is a dry crank.. can anyone in-lighten me on what this is and how much its gona cost to fix.. thanks...

A crank that hasn't fallen off the wagon yet??? :snore:

(sorry, couldn't help it)

I'm guessing that he's telling you that something isn't being properly lubricated. Couldn't tell you why he thinks that though. :doh:

can't see your crank going dry because if your oiling system fails, the one thing going dry will be your top end.

I've heard of this happening before - basically, when you go to kick it over, the engine kind of locks, and you have to rock it backwards in gear to break it free and be able to kick it once more - is that correct?

If so - it's probably a big end bearing gone bad.

Could also be something wrong with your kick start mechanism.

Kickstarter, you can check without splitting the cases or removing the jug, but the big end bearing - you have to be able to check for play on teh conrod so the jug would have to come off to see. Start with the easy one first.

can't see your crank going dry because if your oiling system fails, the one thing going dry will be your top end.
The lube oil circuit is branched at the oil filter cover and again at the external manifold in Gen1 450's , and at the cylinder base on Gen2 engines. Each branch has a control orifice leading into it, which allows the pump to maintain oil pressure to the other two branches if one develops a massive oil leak. It is thus possible, by design, for the oil transfer seal at the right end of the crank, which carries oil from the case to the crank, to fail without starving the top end or transmission if the oil pump itself is in good condition.

That said, I kind of doubt the crank is truly dry, although there may be a problem with the rod bearing.

As always, that's just great info, Gray! :doh:

That is exactly what happend with the engin kind of locking i rocked it and the kickstart would move again.