Clutch time??

I had my freshly rebuilt 03 yz450 out for alot of weekend riding. Broke it in the first day with a long steady trail ride at or around half throttle for a good 1.5 - 2 hours. I did how ever notice in 4th gear it seemed to slip when I took it hard from 1/4 to past half throttle. We put on about 150 miles this weekend all at 40-50 mph with some faster runs (60+) back to camp at sunset. Question is will 4th gear be where I start to notice the clutch going out?? the plates looked fine when I had it all apart, nothing was burnt looking ect... It doesn't seem to slip in any other gear. I am going to try some better oil too I had used just plain 15w40 to get it broken in and have that in now. My free play is in spec as well I tried playing with it either way and made little or no difference. I haven't had a chance to study the manual on it yet will do that tonight.

As a clutch weakens to the point of slipping, the first place it shows up is in the higher gears. That's simply a matter of there being more force required to accelerate the bike in 4th than in 1st.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Thanks again. Goin clutch shopping!

• 9 months later...
As a clutch weakens to the point of slipping, the first place it shows up is in the higher gears. That's simply a matter of there being more force required to accelerate the bike in 4th than in 1st.

Gray, do the grooves on the clutch boss and pressure plate caused by the clutch springs cause any performance issues?

I have $400 to spend if I have to. I found a gytr basket for $153, since mine is notched up pretty bad. I found a gytr clutch kit for $85, but is it as good, or better, than OEM? Can I go with OEM pressure plate and boss (if needed to be replace), or should I go with an aftermarket product.

I'm also looking to ease clutch pull...its very stiff. Cable is fine, and I have ASV lever.

Basically I'm looking for best clutch set up I can get for $400. Bike is 04 YZ450F and never had new clutch.

Any help would be great!

The grooves can cause the clutch to slip and/or drag. Stock bosses are fine. Considering you can get 4 of them for what a Hinson costs, if they last half as long they're still a better deal. Stock pressure plates are OK, too. The GYT-R clutch plates are great.

Thanks! As far as springs go, is one better than the other? Mine are still in tolerance, can I stick with them? I'm guessing since they're worn in that my clutch pull will be best with the used springs...or should I just get new ones to go with everything else?

Mine has turned out to be worn shift forks ect. Did more research because my clutch looked pretty good and I kept riding with no more slipping. Now have to tear down again and fix forks and gears. Another case of not checking out tolerances and doing the old I want to ride slame it together lets go.

My symptoms are hold every gear until 4th

In 4th all is good till the power hits and you want it to go then its jumps out and in of gear. Made the mistake of thinking it was clutch slip at first.