HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
naroy2

Getting a little warm

6 posts in this topic

My 03 wr 450 has never overheated until a few weeks ago riding some single tracks. It was about 70 degrees out and we were moving a little slow. (Good recipe for overheating thumpers, I know)

Anyways, it has continued to do this on singletracks but is fine on open trails. It finally spewed on me last weekend. I have played with the fuel/air screw adjustment and not helped anything. I have never checked the valves on it (3000 miles) and wondered what I oughtta do first: check the valves or adjust the needle jet? Either way, I'll have to load it up and take it to a friend to work on it because I'm lost when it comes to doing those things!

By the way, I put in a new impeller shaft, barren, and seals over the winter.

Any thought, ideas, or sugestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

My 03 wr 450 has never overheated until a few weeks ago riding some single tracks. It was about 70 degrees out and we were moving a little slow. (Good recipe for overheating thumpers, I know)

Anyways, it has continued to do this on singletracks but is fine on open trails. It finally spewed on me last weekend. I have played with the fuel/air screw adjustment and not helped anything. I have never checked the valves on it (3000 miles) and wondered what I oughtta do first: check the valves or adjust the needle jet? Either way, I'll have to load it up and take it to a friend to work on it because I'm lost when it comes to doing those things!

By the way, I put in a new impeller shaft, barren, and seals over the winter.

Any thought, ideas, or sugestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tell us more about your set up:

- jetting (ususally lean jetting is the main cause of overheating)

- exhaust

- fluid in radiator

-

Hi, my '07 supermoto gets hot when I'm stuck in traffic never boiled though, I have Vapor tach fitted and observed it only cools down when revved well, when I'm cruising Harley style it only gets warmer, the coolant is pumped effectively when revs are 5000+ rpm, bigger impeler makes sense

Factory exhaust , like I said, don't know nothing about jetting so I have no clue what the jetting is right now other than I'm satisfied with how it runs.

I had filled with engine ice to the amount that the owners manaul stated (can't remember what that was right now).

When the bike spewed, I filled back up to the full line on the over spill tank when the bike had cooled back down.

Thanks for your help!

If it's the stock jetting that the bike came with I beleive it's lean and that will make it run a little warmer