HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shovelhead1

New chain and sprockets

11 posts in this topic

I have an 01 yz426. I just installed a PD 14 tooth front sprocket,(same size as was on it). also installed a PD 52 tooth rear and PD o-ring chain. The old rear sprocket had a 50 tooth.

My question is; will I be able to tell a big difference in terms of low end performance? I can't try it out until this weekend. I was just curious. I have never changed a sprocket on a bike and went up in tooth count. I always just went back with whatever was on it.

ya you will be able to tell i just put a 53 tooth on and it had a 51 most the time you can just start in second

You will tell a difference. But you will quickly get used to it. Depending on the type of riding you do it will be most noticeable in your gear selection. like in a certain section of a track or trail you could carry the bottom of third instead of screamin second?

Sounds good. I ride mostly trails and some open areas around old ore mines with some pretty tall/steep hills. I am having trouble when the trail gets really tight. Seems like I am stalling alot or having to ride the clutch. I read this change helps the bike lug better in situations like this and helps avoid stalling as bad.

I know most of it is the operator and not the bike.

With a YZ and any realistic gearing, you are going to need to work the clutch hard in really tight sections, and that's just how it is. A lot of people opt for the Rekluse auto clutch for this reason.

I have a 426 and added tooth on the rear sprocket. It did help with low end but would have to agree that you have to work that clutch get through the technical stuff.

I didn't know there was anything like the Rekluse clutch until I joined TT. I actually have been thinking about getting one. I saw one in the TT classifieds and have just about talked myself into contacting seller. If it's still available.

mine 426 came with 13/49...i find that to work quite well, and i also tried a 13/47 and dont mind that on faster tracks...the 13/49 though pulls real hard without loosing any real topend to notice

I didn't know there was anything like the Rekluse clutch until I joined TT. I actually have been thinking about getting one. I saw one in the TT classifieds and have just about talked myself into contacting seller. If it's still available.

You should go for it. I'll never ride without a Rekluse again. :doh:

If you go with a Rekluse , be aware there are different versions of it, with the newer "Pro" (correct me) being a big improvement over earlier models.

If you go with a Rekluse , be aware there are different versions of it, with the newer "Pro" (correct me) being a big improvement over earlier models.

Yeah Gray, you're right. The Pro version is a lot easier to use, install and adjust. The older z-start isn't a bad product, but its not as versatile as the Pro.