HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gic2702

Metal chunks in sump????

3 posts in this topic

I have an 06 450. To cut a long story short, i recently stripped the bolt on the hose from the frame to the sump. The one just under the clutch on the right hand side. At the time i didn't have a tap set so i thought i would rund a new bolt in to clean out the thread a little bit before i connect the hose again. In doing so i managed to put the bolt through the back of the blind hole. I knew i was in trouble before oil started pissing out everywhere when i took the bolt out. I have since ripped the side cover off and found a couple of good size chunks of metal that when put back in the right spot shows me there is more missing. I estimate that there is a piece about 5mm by 5mm unaccounted for. I have tried flushing the sump with methylated spirits and also fuel using a little pressure sprayer and also picked the bike up on it's side and shook it but alas no metal chunks. So my question is in 2 parts -

1. How the hell can i find it?

2. where is it likely to go if i don't find it?

A third question might be for any new swear words cause i have tried them all and it hasn't helped. And yes i know i am an idiot for doing this in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

Short of cracking the case, i have got about as much out of the way as i can to try and find the little sucker. Would be nice and easy if it wasn't aluminium i could just find it with a magnet.

PS i think obama is better than Kevin Rudd (Krudd)