If you could would you???

OK. So I've got my bike pulled apart ready for a new top end...While talking to a friend of mine just last night, I learn he has a connection for a completely brand new factory (not rebuilt) 07 yz450f engine, with a new carb, all the bolts, wiring, everything, for about $2000...

I've been having issues with my engine from the get go (even though it has less than 20 hours on it)...It never really sounded quite right, and I have had to replace the cam chain, the chain tensioner, the clutch, and now about to do piston and rings...I really like the idea of slapping a whole new motor in there and rebuilding/parting mine out...Keeping in mind I'll be using my Hinson clutch, and Zip-ty modified carb, so I'll be able to sell the new ones also...

WOULD YOU DO IT???

When you say 'factory' do you mean a brand new stock motor from Yamaha or 'factory' meaning factory race motor with all the head mods, etc?

No, no, just stock...Come on an unused factory blueprinted motor for $2000??? It's not stolen, just a good deal from an import/export guy...

It's not like I have money oozing outa my pockets (If I did I'd just buy a new bike every few years, but my last bike was a 97 KX250 which I still own, gives you an idea of how long I keep my bikes)...

But, I could pull it off...

And I really think I can almost make all my money back if I part it out...

1. New complete clutch + cover = 500

2. New Carb = 250

3. Used head (we'll see in a few days how worn) = 300

4. Bottom end in good condition = 400

5. Shift lever / kick start lever = 50

6. Hoses/wiring = 50

Modest prices? Totaling $1500

Although I do like the idea of having a spare...

Heres what Id do:

Buy it, slap it in your bike. Take your old motor, put it on a shelf, and leave it. When you save up a little money in a few months, buy the parts to fix it. There are still 03-05 motors going for 1500 on ebay. Then you could either keep it incase your other motor gernades, or make your money back on ebay.

If you can make it happen do it. Part the old one out after the new one is proven reliable or slowly buy your parts, rebuild the old one and have a back up engine to sell $$$ or drop in later if problems arise. You can't loose either way and the fact that you are posting on here means your mind is probably already made up and just need a little nudge to go for it.

Seeing the potential issues with your current motor - DO IT!

If I had that connection - I'd probably do it And fix the old motor - but that's just me, for you - I know 4t's are new to you (more or less) and you might just get a bit pissed off trying to fix it so you might be better off parting it out and recouping a lot of your money. Think about it - if you can recoup even 1000, the cost of the new motor is only 1000, and rebuilding the old will probably cost you 800+ if you end up having to do the crank on top of your top end troubles too......the difference at that point is VERY minimal (200)

OK...I just gave him $200 to hang on to it, and I'm going to give him the rest in a few weeks...In the meantime I'm going to fix the top end on this one, I don't think I'm going to bother with the crank, the bearings are so very slightly worn that they still fall within the (upper end of) standard specs, and well within the max play...So I'll get this one running first, then take it out to be stored, and slap the new one in...And cross my fingers that I don't need to do it again for a long time...

OK...I just gave him $200 to hang on to it, and I'm going to give him the rest in a few weeks...In the meantime I'm going to fix the top end on this one, I don't think I'm going to bother with the crank, the bearings are so very slightly worn that they still fall within the (upper end of) standard specs, and well within the max play...So I'll get this one running first, then take it out to be stored, and slap the new one in...And cross my fingers that I don't need to do it again for a long time...

Glad you decided to do it. It's a nice feeling to know you have a back up if something stupid happens.

Also nice to see you were so easily persuaded :doh:

JK

Good for you dude. 2k is a too good of a deal to pass up!