Best/worst gas mileage on cr250

I did a search w/no luck. How many trail miles can I expect to go on my 01' cr 250? We are going up on Sunday and I don't want to try to pack extra gas if I don't need it, plus finding a good way to do it is proving to be a challenge. What is your best or worst mileage?

Thanks

I did a search w/no luck. How many trail miles can I expect to go on my 01' cr 250? We are going up on Sunday and I don't want to try to pack extra gas if I don't need it, plus finding a good way to do it is proving to be a challenge. What is your best or worst mileage?

Thanks

There are way too many variables to consider, how fast, how high are the rpms, temp, pressure, all that stuff is called into play when you're talking about gas mileage on a dirt bike. I figure running pretty high in the rpms on a single tank i can maybe make it about 65 miles maybe. I wouldn't say much more than that even on a good day. Maybe 70-75 if you're not on the gas all the time.

best I ha ve seen on my re-jetted 2005 is a hair over 20 miles per gallon, before rejetting it was about 15.

Adjusting thefloat height madethe biggest difference, then the rejet.

20mpg is mixof single track and fast riding.

• Like 1

Even if you do get it jetted right it seems to me the 01 sucks gas. Maybe it is just the small tank made for a moto instead of a trail ride. The best thing is to get a big tank. It costs a little but it is great to not worry about it. You aren't enjoying yourself if you are worrying too much about running out of gas and that's why we are out there... to have fun and get away from worry. The clarke and IMS tanks both work great. Some don't like the larger look of the 3.7 IMS that I have so maybe you would rather have the smaller 3.1 or 3.2 size. You do not feel the size while riding but if the tank is fully filled it feels a little bit more top heavy. To me it isn't a big deal. You are bringing up a common concern with 01 cr riders riding offroad.:ride One bummer is now that you have a big tank others sometimes count on you to be the "tanker" that can refill them when they run out. I don't mind except when it happens too many times with guys that are too cheap to buy their own tank.

As far as carrying gas goes I know sometimes guys use a backback and carry a gallon jug direct to a spot in the trail then do different loops on different trails back and refill later. It is a make shift way but it works better than having to go all the way back to the truck.

Thanks all. I know there are many variables to consider. Don't/can't go big tank, ride on Sunday. Been on the trail many times w/my kdx w/no problems. Smaller tank on the Cr as you know. The loop is 37 miles+-.

I guess I should ask how far has anyone gone on their stock tank instead of a gas mileage question.

So how far have you gone? 65 is alot on any 2 stroke.

Also fyi, I did some checking. Some riders swear by the "fuel bottles" you can buy at a camping store. 22oz. is average size. Most riders carry it in a fanny, back pack or strap it down. They ride for awhile then stop and empty the the bottle into the tank so they only have to carry it for a short time. Empty it weighs almost nothing. I picked up one for 9.99. Gonna try it. 22 oz is not much but it is better than pushing!:doh:

Thanks

• Like 1

I used to get around 20mpg on 250's, now I seem to be more in the 25+mpg range. Jetting matters, idle screw/ slow jet matters (especially on single track), but I feel what has mainly led to my increase is riding style. I used to really gun and run throught the corners, now I run a gear up, carry more speed and momentum at lower more steady rpm's.

Well I am going for it. I'll post how my ride goes if anyone is interested. In the mean time, if you here of a trail rider(s) lost in the woods somewhere near White Cloud Michigan just sit back and laugh!:doh:

• Like 1

Tray11 must not have noticed that JMC's bike is a 2-stroke. 60-70 miles on a 2-stroke is impossible on a stock tank.

I have a buddy who rides a 4-stroke KTM and I've been as far as 40 miles with him. I ride a 1999 CR250 with a stock tank. That particular trail was a pretty open ridgeline with a bunch of descents and ascents, not a track.

If you think you will get close to emptying your tank on the trail just grab a water bottle or two before you leave, fill them up with mixed gas, and throw them in to your Camelbak. 2 normal water bottles will get you a minimum of 10 miles.

Nope, it's not impossible. I do a loop that's around 50-60 miles every weekend on a stock 2 gallon tank and never ran out. Of course a lot of that we are cruising mid way in 5th gear. And it too is a two stroke.

• Helpful 1

I have to agree with Tray11, as both my CR and YZ will go 65 miles on stock tanks. CR = 2.0 and YZ 2.1 gallons. Took the CR out yesterday for a 50 mile loop, when I got her back home I drained 62 ounces out of the tank.

FYI update: Went 25-26 miles (DNR map said 37) on our stock tank. We added 22oz. about half way. Got to the truck with about half of a tank, I have not drained and measured it yet. We averaged 16.8 miles (max 28mph) and hour on a fairly tight single trail w/some open areas. So w/all that in mind, I feel I could get 50 miles of the same type of riding w/my fuel bottle. We had a 99 cr250, my 01cr250 and a 03 ktm sx 250 that all had similar gas consumption. Just thought I'd let you guys know.:doh:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Took my 03 out last weekend to the Huron trail in Oscoda, MI....(snowmobile trail basically)... so I was cruisin along 4-5th gear most of the time...but snappin on it through the corners....and I think I was only getting about 20mpg...... i'd say start with a 30-40 mile trip and keep track of gas consumption and how aggressive you ride, then go from there... :busted:

It all how much do you ride wide open or are you a lugger do you get off the pilot jet or stay in the needle jet.

I know for a fact when I run my CR500 hard wide open it sucks the gas if i make the same loop riding like a sane person should fast for others there a lot more gas still in the tank at the end of the same ride same amount of miles but doing at a slowwer pace.

I have need the need for speed thats why I ride a CR500 set up for topend riding slow fun but takes to long to get there.

I ride open desert type riding for the fun of it on a track or racing like Ricky Johnson puts it slow is fast.

I have gone 50+/- several times on my 2000, its pretty much jetted spot on(no spoodge etc) with that said i went camping on my xr600 ounce and brought 3 liters of extra fuel in 2, 1.5l bottles stoped after 20-30 miles and poured the fuel in crushed the bottle stuck it in my pack, and never had any problems. i would do it again in a heat beat. With that said it possible the 2 stroke oil is harder on the plastic than regular gas, but i highly doubt it.

just my 2 cents. If you raise the question you will hear 100 guys swear against fuel in water bottles. but sitting in there for 1-2 hours? i cant see it hurting. letting it sit for several days, now thats a diff story.

I brought 3 liters of extra fuel in 2, 1.5l bottles stoped after 20-30 miles and poured the fuel in crushed the bottle stuck it in my pack, and never had any problems... With that said it possible the 2 stroke oil is harder on the plastic than regular gas, but i highly doubt it... If you raise the question you will hear 100 guys swear against fuel in water bottles. but sitting in there for 1-2 hours? i cant see it hurting. letting it sit for several days, now thats a diff story.

I went riding 3 days ago, and just emptied my Poweraid bottle of premix I was carrying. Bottle was still soft, and felt fine.

It really depends a lot on your riding conditions. Riding hard at sea level in tight, sandy stuff will use a huge amount of fuel. Riding in a relaxed manner on open, hardpack trails at 13k' feet will use very little fuel.

I have a 3.2 gal tank and use most of that on an 80-90 mile loop in Colorado. I imagine it would be good for about 50-60 miles of hard charging in tighter terrain.

• Helpful 1