Used YZ450F, what to check

Hey guys,

Was wondering if I could get some advice on what to look for when checking out a used YZ450F. It's a 2004, seems to be in good condition so I may go for it.

Any gotchas or gremlins in this model/yr?

Thanks

RAB

I just got a used 03 YZ450f and was told immediately when showing some friends that I should have checked the fork seals. They were leaking and had I noticed that I probably could have talked the guy down a few hundred dollars. Hope I'm not too late.

i have an 03 and love it, just check for the usual stuff, fork seals, bent wheels, i guess just look for over all abuse. these bikes are tough as pine knots as long as they are taken care of. and when you ride it hang on to your shorts it will suprise the crap out of you, from what i understand the 03 and 04 models are suposed to have the "biggest hit" when you crank the throttle, something about the camshaft used in those year models. not that they are any faster but the power comes instantly so you have been warned.

:excuseme:

Hey there man I ride a YZ450F and we run a mechanical shop here in town, so I know what i'm talking about on these bikes....The 04 YZ450F are pretty decent bikes....one trick to finding out if a bike has been ran or drove hard is check the pins in the foot pegs...if they are all loose and sloppy it has likely had a pile of hours put on it....and just listen to the engine good and make sure there is no unusual knocks or sounds coming from it....and like the guy b4 said jsut look for overal abuse......Hope this helps!!

I use the same method when buying a used dirt or street bike. Of course step one is to look at and test ride the bike. Tell the guy to have it 'cold' when you arrive so that you know how it will start when you own it...

The second step is usually more valuable if everything checks out on the first step - check out the owner. Is he a douche? Is his garage clean? Was it stored indoors? Who does the maintenance? If him, is his bench clean, etc. etc. Ask detailed questions if he does his own maintenance - "how much oil does this take?" "What oil change interval do you recommend and what oil?"

An owner who passes step two has proven in my situations to pass on well cared for bikes.

My $0.02.

Another good idea is to take the seat off and check the air filter. Sometimes the seller starts sweating right then and there if they "forgot" to clean it.

Good advice

I have sold several 450f's over the years. The biggest thing to look for is does the bike start easy, as in one or two kicks, COLD! If it is hard to start chances are the valves are tite. If they have never been adjusted then you are dealing with a owner that is not into the maintenance thing. It could also mean that it is time for a valve job which means big $$.

If (the valves) have never been adjusted then you are dealing with a owner that is not into the maintenance thing.
This is not necessarily the case. When I sold my 5 year old '03 with something like 400 hours on it, the valves had never been adjusted, and it had nothing to do with how the bike was maintained. The simple fact is that it never needed it in all of that time.
This is not necessarily the case. When I sold my 5 year old '03 with something like 400 hours on it, the valves had never been adjusted, and it had nothing to do with how the bike was maintained. The simple fact is that it never needed it in all of that time.

My 03's valves are just starting to get tight, still have the original oddball shims, like 186, 182, etc.

Awesome! Thanks to all for the feedback. I was beginning to think no one was going to reply.

I kind of got cold feet, talked to my wife and she says go ahead and get it because your son is really looking forward to riding with you again. Gotta love that woman!

I'll let you know if I can strike a deal with this guy.

:doh:

Used DirtBike Check:

-Front and rear wheels are straight, spin both wheels on a stand (wheels are expensive)

-sprockets and chain worn?

-look under the bike for major rock hits or JB weld:eek:

-check the steering stops for deformation, meaning major crash

-should be a nice clean airfilter, if its caked with dirt walk away

-agree with other.....tell him not to warm it up before you come and try to start it yourself COLD. It should fire right up. And make sure it doesn't blow any major smoke out the pipe after its warmed up.

:doh: