Newb doing the top end myself, PLEASE HELP! Lots of pics!

I'm just going to use the clutch tool with rags...

Works pretty good, I just don't like clamping down on the teeth...scares me...

I'm surprised to see so much build up in motor,I use amsoil and would hope to see my motor cleaner And I have 75 hours on mine.

There was only buildup exactly where the oil was burning...The rest of the motor, the cams, magneto, clutch, transmission, all look spotless and brand spanking new with only remnants of what looks like brand new oil left behind...No deposits whatsoever...Honestly looks to me to have way less than 20hrs...

Motor is supposed to be here tomorrow...Lightweight 1/4" torque wrench will be here following day (my electric only goes down to 10ft/lbs)...

Picked up a few different greases for putting the bike back together...

White lithium grease (could not find anything labeled "soap based"), and anti-seize lube...and I already have waterproof Green Grease in the gun...

Is there something different I need? Any last minute recommendations?

Got the motor in...New tripples...scotts damper...put the Hinson clutch in, did the bearing mod for the oil filter bolt...did a breather hose reroute...putting the back end on tomorrow...

DSC04422small.jpg

DSC04424small.jpg

DSC04420small.jpg

DSC04428small.jpg

DSC04432small.jpg

Wow!!! just wow

wow the bike looks awsome !!!!! how do u like that zipty magnetic oil filter cover ? do u see any particles or shavings in it ?

Just got back from breaking in the new motor...Took quite a few kicks to get it going, but after about 15 kicks it started...then died...then took a bunch of kicks and started with the choke on and giving a little gas...warmed it up for 2-3minutes, adjusted the idle a bit...turned it off, let sit for 2 minutes...started it back up 3 kicks giving little gas...I know, I know, not supposed to give gas to start a 4 stroke, maybe 2 twists before, but hey, it seems to want to start with the throttle cracked just a hair??? Rode it around the block at very low throttle mostly 2nd gear for .2 of an hour (about 10 minutes or so)...Shut down...Let cool...Loaded up...Took it out to some desert trails (the type of trails I thought I wouldn't be riding for a while in which the MX31's were entirely inappropriate)...Had issues with stalling even with the clutch fully pulled in...It seems like the clutch works pretty well (although doesn't seem to be as dialed in as I had it before)...Doesn't pull with the clutch in, but seems like the idle just cuts out...I can have it sitting still running in idle in neutral, pull in the clutch, pop it in first, and need to be giving decent amount of gas or it will stall, but while giving it gas you can sit still without feeling the bike want to pull...

I need help with that...seems to idle fine in neutral, but in gear needs to be given gas with the clutch all the way in or stalls...

I really want someone who really knows their stuff to get my clutch and carb dialed in...And I didn't even feel the Scotts damper really working, so I need that adjusted correctly as well...

On a side note, the new Q4 was amazingly quiet compared to the WB pipe I had before...It does lack the bottom end punch though, but the midrange seems to have really good power...

I only rode for an hour, and pretty much kept it under half throttle, so I didn't get to get a really good feel for it yet...

You need to set up your carb right and you'll probably get some of that bottom end punch back. It sounds like your bike is in need of a pilot circuit adjustment and get the idle set up right. Once you change out your oil and get all that set up I wouldn't be surprised if it also stops stalling on you.

Clutch lever should have 2-4mm free play before it puts tension on the cable.

Setting up pilot circuit:

First - turn pilot screw in until lightly seated to count # of turns. put back to where it was. write down number for baseline in case you need to start over.

get bike warmed up properly.

Set your idle a little higher than normal

Slowly turn pilot screw in 1/4 turn at a time listening for the idle on the bike to drop. Once it drops slightly, write down the # of turns out from lightly seated.

Repeat procedure turning screw out 1/4 turn at a time.

You should now have 2 screw turn counts, hopefully between 3/4 turn and 2 turns. Set it in the middle and see how the bike reacts to a quick 1/4 throttle punch, it should not hesitate.

You can fine tune somewhere between the two settings you wrote down for your best reaction to a 1/4 turn throttle blip.

If the circuit seems to perform better under 3/4 turn out, you need to go to a smaller pilot jet, or if it's better over 2 turns out, a larger jet is required.

1. ...it seems to want to start with the throttle cracked just a hair???
  2. ...Took it out to some desert trails (the type of trails I thought I wouldn't be riding for a while in which the MX31's were entirely inappropriate)
  3. ...Had issues with stalling even with the clutch fully pulled in...It seems like the clutch works pretty well (although doesn't seem to be as dialed in as I had it before)...Doesn't pull with the clutch in, but seems like the idle just cuts out...
  4. ...And I didn't even feel the Scotts damper really working, so I need that adjusted correctly as well...
  5. I only rode for an hour, and pretty much kept it under half throttle, so I didn't get to get a really good feel for it yet...

1. That usually indicates the idle is too low, and/or too rich. Sometimes it's just how they like to run (my '03 was always like that), but with your other problems, I'd say you need to get the idle trimmed out correctly.
  2. In what way were the MX31's inappropriate? Were the trails hard pack?
  3. Again, let's get the idle worked out first. If you can raise the idle to the point where it idles in gear, and still find neutral without a lot of fuss, the clutch is not at fault.
  4. You're not supposed to feel it work. Ride it for a couple weeks and then take it off. You'll understand right away.
  5. You rode it too easy. The second 20 minutes should have seen up to 75% loads, and the third 20 should have reached 90%. That seats the rings. Be sure you run it hard next time out.

1. That usually indicates the idle is too low, and/or too rich. Sometimes it's just how they like to run (my '03 was always like that), but with your other problems, I'd say you need to get the idle trimmed out correctly.
  2. In what way were the MX31's inappropriate? Were the trails hard pack?
  3. Again, let's get the idle worked out first. If you can raise the idle to the point where it idles in gear, and still find neutral without a lot of fuss, the clutch is not at fault.
  4. You're not supposed to feel it work. Ride it for a couple weeks and then take it off. You'll understand right away.
  5. You rode it too easy. The second 20 minutes should have seen up to 75% loads, and the third 20 should have reached 90%. That seats the rings. Be sure you run it hard next time out.

1. I think the idle is low and a little too rich (likes the hot start)...

2. Yes, it was a dry desert area that not too many people ride, there were a few sandy fun sections, but most of it was super hard pack, with a sprinkle of baby powder on top, took a few sketchy ridge lines a little fast...

3. Yes I can raise the idle to where it stays on, and still find neutral, but it seems way too high...I'll go through all the steps of dialing it in today/tomorrow after I service it...

4. I actually left the damper at a very low setting, expecting to not deal with that yet (plus I was staying at pretty slow speeds)...I wanted to feel the tires and the offset clamps first, get the fork height dialed in, then stiffen the damper...

5. I might have gotten close to the 75% in the last 20mins I rode, definitely didn't go more than that...And yes, the next time out will be at the track putting it (and me) too the test...

4. I actually left the damper at a very low setting, expecting to not deal with that yet (plus I was staying at pretty slow speeds)...I wanted to feel the tires and the offset clamps first, get the fork height dialed in, then stiffen the damper...

Even cranked down considerably, you will not notice that it "does" very much. That's the beauty of it. It's a lot less about what happens than it is about what does not happen. As I say, ride it hard in the rough stuff a few times and then take it off.
You need to set up your carb right and you'll probably get some of that bottom end punch back.

I actually think I like the power delivery a little better...(Keep in mind, I just changed A LOT of things on the bike, so I may be attributing too much of this too the exhaust)...But the WB pipe definitely had a snap right off the bottom (I did ride one day stock, the next day on the same track with the WB) but honestly I think it's too much punch for such a slow speed, you end up having traction issues...The FMF seems to have growl down low then really kicks in and sounds beautiful, with great power in the midrange...So it seems like it just tames it enough to keep the tire from spinning off the bottom or out of a turn, but then has punch right when you get set in and up to speed...

Even cranked down considerably, you will not notice that it "does" very much. That's the beauty of it. It's a lot less about what happens than it is about what does not happen. As I say, ride it hard in the rough stuff a few times and then take it off.

I have no doubts about the Scotts damper performance, at all...I'm going to try and get it set right for the next ride...Like I said, I just put that on the back burner for that first break in ride...

I thought I pretty much followed the break in by the book...And what seemed to be close to what I gathered from friends and the net...Even though those answers varied greatly...I followed mostly the advice of a factory mechanic for Honda, who told me the way to go is to ride mellow at between 1/4 throttle and 1/2 throttle for exactly one hour trying to keep the bike running and moving the whole time, not going above 3rd gear...He said the thing is, nobody has the patience to actually do that, so there are alternatives that break it in quicker...

So, since I went through one top end from ring failure, and did do a quick break in procedure with that one, I thought I'd try and do it the one hour under half throttle way...I do admit that I stepped it up a bit near the end of the hour, and did stall it half a dozen times (but started again right away)...So I guess I'll see what happens...But yes, I'm told this next ride after the initial ride servicing, I'm supposed to start it, let it idle and warm up for 2 minutes or so, then ride it under 1/2 throttle for the first 10 minutes, then start going all out...

Here are some "finished" pics:

DSC04517small.jpg

DSC04518small.jpg

DSC04519small.jpg

DSC04521small.jpg

DSC04522small.jpg

Man that is beautiful! Good job!

wow that is 2 nice, good job!