HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sharp Shooter

Header for a 2006 YZ450f

11 posts in this topic

So I'm riding the track yesterday and my buddy Sam crashes about 5 seconds ahead of me. By the time I see him I have a split second to react and vear off the track just missing him.

Unfortunately this put me sliding onto hard pack dirt (I couldn't stop) sliding me onto another section of the same track where I was t-boned.

Nobody was seriously hurt but I damaged my header. Aside from the obvious it bent all the way to the engine case.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

- Jerry

normal_DSC00122.JPG

That can be repaired simply by removing the header, filling the U section with water, and standing it in the freezer until the water freezes solid. The ice expands as it freezes and will push the dent out. No need to plug either end.

A dent that size will likely take three or four repetitions to completely resolve the matter, but it will eventually push it clear out.

That can be repaired simply by removing the header, filling the U section with water, and standing it in the freezer until the water freezes solid. The ice expands as it freezes and will push the dent out. No need to plug either end.

A dent that size will likely take three or four repetitions to completely resolve the matter, but it will eventually push it clear out.

That won't fix the way the pipe is bent though. It was pushed down onto the engine case. Thanks for the info none the less. :excuseme:

Freezing will help the dent, but not the bend. You can try piperepair.com, they can fix it. Or you can check ebay for a new one. Any YZ450F header from 03-06 will fit.

Freezing will help the dent, but not the bend. You can try piperepair.com, they can fix it. Or you can check ebay for a new one. Any YZ450F header from 03-06 will fit.

Are you sure about the 03-05 being the same pipe as the 06?

Are you sure about the 03-05 being the same pipe as the 06?

Yup, the header was the same for 03-06, the silencer changed between 05 and 06 when they got the new frame, but the header remained the same. The header changed diameter at the midpipe joint for 07.

Yup, the header was the same for 03-06, the silencer changed between 05 and 06 when they got the new frame, but the header remained the same. The header changed diameter at the midpipe joint for 07.

Well that's good to know. THANK!!!!

Well that's good to know. THANK!!!!

And if you want to go stainless instead of titanium but want to stick with a stock header, the 03-08 YFZ450 (quad) came with the same header as the 03-06 YZ450F, except it was stainless steel instead of titanium.

maybe you guys know if a complate wb system off 05 yz450f will fit on my 06.

thx

maybe you guys know if a complate wb system off 05 yz450f will fit on my 06.

thx

Nope. That has to be used as a full system, and the silencer doesn't fit. When Yamaha switched to the aluminum frame they moved the mount on the midpipe a couple inches.

Nope. That has to be used as a full system, and the silencer doesn't fit. When Yamaha switched to the aluminum frame they moved the mount on the midpipe a couple inches.

ok thanks