2008 YZ450 - broken bits in forks???

Just pulled my 08's forks apart and found the following inside the cannister :excuseme:

No external damage at all - how the heck did this happen (aside from being like this from the factory) ??? Any ideas??

Even worse, is that I can't find the spare parts - it looks like I have to buy the whole assembly!!! Is that right?

susp01.jpg

According to mxa that is a common problem on the 08. In 09 they went to a different plastic material that is supposed to help. MXA and others have recommended drilling a small hole in the center of the plastic piece to alleviate the presssure that causes it to break.

• Like 1

Damn - thanks for the quick replies guys. Anyone know where to source replacement parts (and if the 09 bits are the same) without having to buy a whole new valve at $200+ :excuseme:

Damn - thanks for the quick replies guys. Anyone know where to source replacement parts (and if the 09 bits are the same) without having to buy a whole new valve at $200+ :excuseme:

Dave Johnson at Smart Performance can get you replacement - I have been told you can not buy these directly from Yamaha (I have not validated this)

Thanks again guys - I've managed to get hold of Dave through PM and will be ordering some parts up. Pretty damn poor design from KYB and I'd be surprised is this didn't happen to all of them. If I was hitting the triples hard I might accept it, but the occasional track day and mostly trails - not on. If I had a contact address at Yamaha, they'd be getting hell from me

Thanks again guys - I've managed to get hold of Dave through PM and will be ordering some parts up. Pretty damn poor design from KYB and I'd be surprised is this didn't happen to all of them. If I was hitting the triples hard I might accept it, but the occasional track day and mostly trails - not on. If I had a contact address at Yamaha, they'd be getting hell from me

There seems to be no rhyme or reason for these things breaking, I work on some local pros bikes that get ridden hard and can't remember any of them being broke. Then next thing you know one will come in and just like you, they are not landing off of anything big and have a broken piston. That being said I am not sure drilling the piston will stop them from breaking but it sure makes them work better deep in the stroke.

I've had one of those break on an 06.

The KYB parts catalogue can be downloaded from here....

http://www.technical-touch.com/kybgenuineparts/index_uk.php?load=catalog_uk

You can purchase the individual parts from Technical Touch, although most suspension tuners will have them, or be able to source one for you.

There are quite a few threads in the suspension forum about this as well.

I've had one of those break on an 06.

The KYB parts catalogue can be downloaded from here....

http://www.technical-touch.com/kybgenuineparts/index_uk.php?load=catalog_uk

You can purchase the individual parts from Technical Touch, although most suspension tuners will have them, or be able to source one for you.

There are quite a few threads in the suspension forum about this as well.

I asked Dave to send me a set out here in the jungle - no shops or tuners anywhere close by. The odd thing is that the suspension did feel different from new, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Goes to show that regular tear down and oil refresh is a must, especially on these boys. I guess I'll add them to my list of 'consumable' parts, along with tires, oil, filters, etc.

I didn't search the 'Suspension' forum, as the red mist had clouded my vision ? . Real downside is that I've had no chance to go riding for over a month, the weather has been dry, the tracks & trails are most likely awesome at the moment. :excuseme: ...and now I've gotta wait a few more weeks for parts before I can even think about going for a ride :ride: