HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
davcon

GYTR Flywheel arrived - Yamabond?

14 posts in this topic

Its the 9.21 Oz, been backordered for a while, cant wait to install and try it out. Came with a new gasket. Anyway, the manual and the included instructions specify Yamabond or Threebond for the CDI grommet/case connection. I have blue and red permatex , will one of those suffice? Thanks

Thanks Gray, So its more of a glue than a sealer then. Ok, since I've got to buy a new "sauce" anyway, I'll get the Threebond.

Some RTV sealers say on the label that they "form gaskets". That's not really the case. In order to work, the sealant must form an adhesive bond to both parts it contacts that won't be weakened by the fluid involved. I find that "normal" RTV silicone doesn't bond well to rubber such as found in the grommet on the stator harness.

I just put mine on, granted the bike only had 3 hours on it, but I just layed the bike over and did not even disconnect the CDI. I just zip tied it to the side after I took it off. Swapped the weights and slapped it back on, no glue even used the old gasket

My dealer only had Hondabond 4. Told me same as Yamabond. Hope they're right.

Is the permatex 3 hard to find?
Not around here. Any "real" auto parts store should have it. It's a brush-in-can product, and it's a bit messy as is. I use cheap art brushes from the 99 cent store to apply it to things like the harness grommet on my bikes.

Products like the Yamabond are neater.

I just put mine on, granted the bike only had 3 hours on it, but I just layed the bike over and did not even disconnect the CDI. I just zip tied it to the side after I took it off. Swapped the weights and slapped it back on, no glue even used the old gasket

I did the same and even after a timing chain replacement at 70 hrs no leaks

Me too...

As jriorda1 and others said, if careful removing the side cover nothing is required except blue loctite and a puller. Rode for a 35 miler yesterday, no issues.