HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iamadam1122

Can a bent header be repaired?

12 posts in this topic

My head pipe bent in a crash. I took it to one exhaust shop so far and they said they couldn't do anything because its titanium. Anyone else know if its fixable?

33jlt7d.jpg

I have a couple stories about bent head pipes but can't confirm them .......One of my buddies said he filled his pipe with water and froze it in the freezer and it fixed it......another guy said he made some plugs to cap the pipe and put compressed air in it and slowly heated it with a OA torch and that fixed his pipe......I'm a welder and I looked at your picture or your pipe and think with the creases in the radius's your probably going to buy a new pipe so you have nothing to lose I would try the freezing

method first.....Good luck

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the freezing method a try. The crease is pretty bad its almost pinched shut completely

I have a couple stories about bent head pipes but can't confirm them .......One of my buddies said he filled his pipe with water and froze it in the freezer and it fixed it......another guy said he made some plugs to cap the pipe and put compressed air in it and slowly heated it with a OA torch and that fixed his pipe......I'm a welder and I looked at your picture or your pipe and think with the creases in the radius's your probably going to buy a new pipe so you have nothing to lose I would try the freezing

method first.....Good luck

Those methods work for dents, but not if it is bent or creased. Try sending it to Pacific pipe repair, they have a money back satisfaction guarantee.

Those methods work for dents, but not if it is bent or creased. Try sending it to Pacific pipe repair, they have a money back satisfaction guarantee.

Do you have a link for them or an address?

Freezing works for the most part with steel. It *might* work with the Ti header, but the creases look too deep to me.

The problem with Ti metal is it is brittle when cold, so freezing may crack it before the creases are deformed. Might be best to have a shop "hot work" it.

Pacific Crest Pipe:

http://www.piperepair.com/

Another thought: I'm not sure if you have an aftermarket can on the bike, but maybe save the cost of the repair ($60 + shipping) and put an aftermarket header on it?

I managed to fix my bent Ti header on my 2006 with the 'freeze method' but I also had a pretty bad crease and just filling the 'elbow' with water and putting it in the freezer didn't do it (tried several times).

Since I figured I had nothing to loose, I sealed the silencer end with a plastic bag and elastic. I filled that end with water (leaving the elbow empty) and froze it so that it would make it's own 'ice plug'. I then filled the elbow where the crease was, bolted on the metal plate and stuck it back in the freezer. Crease came right out first try leaving behind just a little discolouration of where it was creased, but the physical crease was gone. Been fine since (2years).

Freezing works for the most part with steel. It *might* work with the Ti header, ...
Freezing works beautifully with Ti headers, but only for dents. Bent and folded/creased tubing can't be fixed that way regardless of the material.

I bought a perfect used one off ebay for $20, that thing is junk...

Freezing works beautifully with Ti headers, but only for dents. Bent and folded/creased tubing can't be fixed that way regardless of the material.

I wasn't sure if the freezing method worked that well but like you said when their CREASED...it is pretty much new pipe time.....:excuseme:

Ya I emailed the pipe repair place and was told its not fixable. Looking on ebay now. Thanks guys