Stator messed up!

I had my '08 YZ450 supermotard out at a new track in Oregon over the weekend. It ran great and was tons of fun. I shut it off at one point to have a chat with a friend and then couldn't get it started again. I determined there was no spark and then followed the service manual directions to track it to the stator.

I popped off the side cover and saw that one of the small phillips head screws that holds the stator to the interior bracket was missing. The hard insulation on the wires were all chewed up and there were metal shavings apparent. I then found the screw sitting inside the rotor.

I'm not sure why this screw decided to back out...new stator on the way.

wintj.jpg

I had my '08 YZ450 supermotard out at a new track in Oregon over the weekend. It ran great and was tons of fun. I shut it off at one point to have a chat with a friend and then couldn't get it started again. I determined there was no spark and then followed the service manual directions to track it to the stator.

I popped off the side cover and saw that one of the small phillips head screws that holds the stator to the interior bracket was missing. The hard insulation on the wires were all chewed up and there were metal shavings apparent. I then found the screw sitting inside the rotor.

I'm not sure why this screw decided to back out...new stator on the way.

wintj.jpg

wow, nice bike. It had to have been from vibration. I would say loctite but since its a small bolt it may mean trouble if you have to take it back off.

Funny thing is I remember hearing something rattling at a high frequency. I thought it was something external, but now I'm thinking I should have checked it out...although I doubt I would have ever guessed correctly.

Very nice bike. Makes me wish I had money :banghead: