HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yzf426f

2002 yz426f coolent leak! please help

5 posts in this topic

well about a month ago i came off my bike pretty bad so i stored the bike away untill my broken bones healed.today i went out and started the bike when i noticed i was leak coolent when the bike is running.im guessing ive busted a gasket or somethink.but i wanted to see wat you guys think it is,and how much ruthley it will cost to fix.i also was wondering if this could cause alot of damage to my bike.i took a photo for u guys to have a look at.the red arrow is where it is leaking from.sorry if the image is crap quality as i had to use my mobile to take the photo.cheers

http://s622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/yzf426f/?action=view&current=waterleak.jpg&newest=1

Water pump. The seals have hardened while sitting. Remove the case cover, replace both seals and inspect the shaft and bearing.

ok thankz gray.couple of questions? anything specific i need to know?such as leaning bike over the the left side?and is this easy for some1 who has never done this before? and is there a series of bolts i need to take off or is it a specific compnet?sorry for the newb questions.and if some 1 could proberbly copy the photo and put arrows to the componet i need to take off?i would take it into the shop but they are a rip off and last tym i took it in for a carby cleen they charged to $ 200 for labour and i am pretty strapped for cash.cheers mate

You will need a manual:

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/community/service/manuals.jsp

or

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

It's a little complicated, but if you are patient and conscientious, you can manage it. the coolant has to be drained, and either the oil has to be drained or the bike laid down. The whole right side cover is then removed.

ok thankz gray.couple of questions? anything specific i need to know?such as leaning bike over the the left side?and is this easy for some1 who has never done this before? and is there a series of bolts i need to take off or is it a specific compnet?sorry for the newb questions.and if some 1 could proberbly copy the photo and put arrows to the componet i need to take off?i would take it into the shop but they are a rip off and last tym i took it in for a carby cleen they charged to $ 200 for labour and i am pretty strapped for cash.cheers mate

I just did mine and being my first time it was really easy. I would recommend buying

-Side Cover Gasket

-Seals

-Impeller Shaft

-Bearing

Save yourself the hassle and buy everything while your in there.....

First off, I would drain the oil, just in case the coolant seeped into the oil.

-Remove header, all hoses leading to water pump, release rear brake.

-Then undo all side cover bolts( i believe they are 8mm)

- One the side cover is off use a 12 mm on the impeller and a 13mm(?) on the other side, that should loosen em.

My biggest pointer is to make sure the seals(the flat part of the seals face each other).

It does seem a little scary at first but once you do it, its pretty easy. Let me know if you need any other help.