pro taper bars

if i had my time again i would have done it properly & bought the correct 'c' clamps to go with protapers. i ended up putting a rotary file up the inside of the standard 'c' clamps.

you should have been given a choice of endbar pieces. the thinner ones are meant to go up the middle but i found they didn't. again the rotary file was used. this time, a more presentable job.

the clamps look ok it's just that by the time i'd bored them out, the drilled hole for the pinch bolt was out of line.

i believe you MAY be able to buy 'c' clamps to suit protapers & if your no mean mechanic i would recommend you get them.

the 'riffler' file job is very easy to do once you've purchased a long straight sided one.

Taffy

Taffy is right - they do make clamps specifically for Protaper Bars. I passed on them because they wanted $32 for them (almost the cost of the handgaurds). For that price I can do just what Taffy did with a grinder.....

A better solution (though higher priced) is at the Yamaha site (look under the guards for the triple clamp mounts): http://www.yamaha-motor.com/access/01yz_accessories/yz_access_frame.html

[This message has been edited by Michael (edited 02-16-2001).]

Hi guys, I just ordered the Scotts triple clamp set with stabilizer and pro taper bars. I have the Acerbis guards as well. When I bought the guards I had stock bars.. I ordered the tri-clamp brackets from yamaha but am waiting for the Scotts stuff to arrive before putting it on. will let you know how that works out. My riding buddy ordered the same tri-clamp brackets for his WR250 but he ordered the Yamaha guards. As soon as we get our stuff in we'll publish our experiences with it. The guard thing has been a real learning experience for me. If I knew then what I know now I would have done things differently. Now I have to minimize how much money I waste and make all this stuff work together will keep you posted. Paul

• Like 1

Pmaust, I'm anxiously awaiting your results with the triple clamp mounts. I've heard that they will mount up ok, but I'm really curious about your opinions on what angle the mounts allow you to hang your acerbis. In other words will the mounts allow the acerbis to cover your levers when they are angled down? Please keep us informed!

------------------

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I installed the Scotts triple clamp with Pro-taper bars and stabilizer. I also got the Yamaha triple clamp mounts for the hand guards. I already had the Acerbis guards. The Acerbis guards fit nicely into the pro-taper bars. I had to do a little bending to get the other end to match the yamaha tri-clamp mounts but it worked! JJ, the yamaha braces don't give you much flexibility in moving the hand guards down but I found that I was able to set my clutch lever and brake lever in a downward angle and still be protected by the guards. I am very satisfied with the set up and was able to salvage the Acerbis guards. The Yamaha braces make the guards very rigid and prevent rotation on impact. I haven't ridden it yet but am planning on going this next Sunday for an all day work out. I was supposed to race in Livermore but am on call so have to stay close by. Will let you know if I find any problems with the setup after riding. Paul

Thanks much pmaust! I think I'll give it a whirl...

------------------

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender