Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YZRider3087

How well do Black Excel Rims hold up in sand?

6 posts in this topic

i have an 08 yz450 that i have ridden only a handful of times at the dunes, by the end of the first day the rear wheel looked trashed and is now dull and ugly.... i want to invest in some new rims and was thinking abou tgoing with black excels. how well will they hold up to riding in the dunes? im assuming that the out come will be the same no matter what color wheels i run, simply because sand is not friendly to finished surfaces...?

They're pretty good, but maybe after a couple of years they show a little wear, its powder coat, so it's fairly impervious to the elements.

They're pretty good, but maybe after a couple of years they show a little wear, its powder coat, so it's fairly impervious to the elements.

The rims are actually annodized not power coated. I have had black rims since 07 and they are showing their wear. They also have about 4500miles on them including half of the 2007 baja 1000 and many District 38 races.

They will dull a bit in the dunes as the sand diminishes the shine. But with some rubbing and the right polish you can get them looking nice again. Be careful when you change out tires as the rims you see the nicks from the tire irons. If you care. I don't really care what they look like as long as they aren't cracked or too bent.....

You will notice that on the edge of the rim you will get a spot all the way around that is polished off mostly on the back rim.

You will notice that on the edge of the rim you will get a spot all the way around that is polished off mostly on the back rim.

Like mine! They are starting to show some serious wear.

P4260187.jpg