dunes???

did a search but didn't really find what i was looking for,

i just got a 04 450 and am taking a trip to the dunes in a few weeks got a few questions.

i already need a new chain and sprockets and was wondering what u guys run in the dunes??

and looking to buy a paddle tire wondering what would be the pros and cons of the 10 paddle and the 8 paddle??

im going to be getting 2 new filters, a K&N PRECHARGER, and a UNI BREATHER for the crank vent, is there anything else i should get for the trip????

or any little tricks for keeping sand out???

I run a 13/48. Not much of a top speed for the drags but it is better for the hill climbs and duning.

The crank vent is a MUST! Don't go to the dunes with out it re-routed.

Make sure that your air filter is clean.

I don't use a 10 paddle as it doesn't allow the needed wheel spin. An 8 paddle is the ticket.

I run about 12psi in the front tire and about 14psi in the rear.

Have fun! :banghead:

On my 05 Yz450 I ran the stock 14/51. Stock for 04 was 14/48. I have run both 8 and 10 paddles on my 05. For me the 8 (small scoops) just didn't seem to hook up. I just had too much spin. I now run a AMS Sand Snake 10. I can still spin it and it climbs anything. My buddy runs a Kings Turbo 8 (big scoops), he likes it and it throws a cool roost. I run about 10 lbs front and rear.

I run a 13/48. Not much of a top speed for the drags but it is better for the hill climbs and duning.

The crank vent is a MUST! Don't go to the dunes with out it re-routed.

Make sure that your air filter is clean.

I don't use a 10 paddle as it doesn't allow the needed wheel spin. An 8 paddle is the ticket.

I run about 12psi in the front tire and about 14psi in the rear.

Have fun! :banghead:

can someone tell me more about this crank vent and where it is and what needs to be done. i"m also going to the dunes in a couple weeks.

Last time I went to St. Anthony sand dunes I took a RMZ450 and rexburg motorsports recomended not even using a sand tire because there is plenty enough power to climb anything, and the dune tire makes the ride so rough.

I didn't even use one and had a great time. Climbed every big hill with ease. I am debating doing the same thing this time.

Here is all the info you need on the crank vent.

Discussion

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...51#post4054651

A Clean, Simple Solution

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=706602

A Different Breather kit parts list

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...73#post4956573

I always run a paddle in the dunes, it is more fun for me.

Have fun out there, those are the second largest dunes I have found so far. I have yet to go to South America though....

i was going to get alittle crank vent from like a car and use that, uni makes one but they are cheap at like auto zone and i was goiing to put it up by the gas tank or in the air box,

i think im going to go with the ten paddle and if i dont like it they are only like 50 some bucks so i will just get a 8 paddle

i think im going to go with the ten paddle and if i dont like it they are only like 50 some bucks so i will just get a 8 paddle

You can also cut some of the rubber off with a razorblade. I have done that on one of my 10 cups before with good results.

Theres one lucky SOB out there. :banghead: :banghead:

It was me.... Not to rub it in but I had 4 days of that. :banghead:

There were dunes so big that I couldn't make it to the top on my 450 with a paddle. Even with a good 5th gear run at the bottom, I still couldn't get up..... Unforgetable to say the least. :banghead:

It was me.... Not to rub it in but I had 4 days of that. :banghead:

There were dunes so big that I couldn't make it to the top on my 450 with a paddle. Even with a good 5th gear run at the bottom, I still couldn't get up..... Unforgetable to say the least. :banghead:

That is awesome. Saving my pennies as we speak for a trip like that. :banghead: