Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
angrybob

Another Metal Flakes on Oil Filter...

4 posts in this topic

I've always had a small quantity of metal flakes on the filter surface - steel mesh type. Last night, in prepping for this weekend's GP in Virginia City, NV I noticed more than usual amount of metal chips and flakes mostly piled in two of the filter pleats. Worse is that some of the particles are magnetic.

I took the bike out Sunday for a pre-weekend shakedown ride and it ran beautifully with no abnormal noises. I should note that one intake valve is a little tight which I will address after this coming weekend. A tight valve won't cause this kind of result though to the best of my knowledge. I change the oil every 6-10 hours of riding time.

Is that a bearing taking a crap?

Its a tough situation:

* bike runs great.

* been plannning this weekend for a couple of months now.

* supposed to leave Thurs morning.

* don't want to pay for a total engine rebuild.

I bought the bike used a year ago and have about 70 hours on it. Who knows how many previously...

Any thoughts?

If you're unsure of how many total hours are on this bike I would be careful. You put on 70, the PO put on how many? 30, 60, 90 maybe more? At the very least I'd put in a top end and do a thorough inspection of the valve train and replace the cam chain.

Squarish, bright flakes of steel (magnetic) are usually an indication the a bearing is gone bad.