Looking at a 99 wr400 need advice

I went to look at a 99 wr400 the other day. The bike has less than 100 miles on it and has been sitting sense 99. I have some concerns and questions I hope you guys can help me with.

-When we started the bike it sounded noisier in the top end than I thought it should. Is this just the way these bikes sound or should there be concern. I have never heard one of these bikes run before.

-I do all trail riding no motocross. National Forest, jeep trails and single track tight trails. Is this bike too much for this or should I be looking at a smaller bike. I ride a KLR 250 now that I am not happy with.

-Do you get use to kick starting this bike?

Thank for any help and advice.

Ken

you will get used to KS. it keeps you fit!

i doubt there is anything wrong with the top end let alone on one that has done just 100 miles.

i think you may have demented paranioa.

go ride it's a great bike.

Taffy

Change the oil!

:)

I doubt anything is wrong with only a hundred miles on it. That is if you believe the guy, but I would definetly give it an oil change, new plug, new air filter as well as giving a good once over before the first ride ( check for loose bolts etc..) As for being too much bike, the wr is the best woods/ jeep trails bike, if yor not happy with your 250 for lack of guts the you are ready to experience the power of the four stroke 400 you'll dig it, good luck and get ready to do some free mods after a couple of rides :)

Originally posted by blitzer544:

I went to look at a 99 wr400 the other day. The bike has less than 100 miles on it and has been sitting sense 99. I have some concerns and questions I hope you guys can help me with.

-When we started the bike it sounded noisier in the top end than I thought it should. Is this just the way these bikes sound or should there be concern. I have never heard one of these bikes run before.

I can't say that my top end seemed noisy when I bought mine, but it didn't strike me a being loud in that manner, unlike the exhaust. When I bought my '99, I had never really started or rode one up close either, but I did listen close to the head before I bought it. I didn't really know what I was listening for, more of a general rattletrap check, but I thought the engine was fairly quiet or at least quieter than I expected. You hearing ticking or slapping at all???

-I do all trail riding no motocross. National Forest, jeep trails and single track tight trails. Is this bike too much for this or should I be looking at a smaller bike. I ride a KLR 250 now that I am not happy with.

It's a bit of a switch coming off of 2 strokes, but you'll adjust to that without trying. The power is sweet and well beyond your KLR, you should be very happy I'd think, maybe you can test ride it first just to fall in love officially. (that's what pushed me over the edge... first ride.... braaaaaappppp)

-Do you get use to kick starting this bike?

Thank for any help and advice.

Ken

Bwahahahahhahahhaaaa... oh God yes... don't worry, you'll get it eventually. Search that topic or for "the drill", that's how I finally learned. There's definately a bit of a trick, but for what it's worth though, I doubt they'll ever start as easy as a 2 stroke, but that's just me. (everyone with e-start may kindly stfu... thank you very much :) )

Oh, and if that bike only has 100 mi on it, there should be alot of paint left next to the pegs and on the frame bottom. Also, the tires should still have all the little "t1ts" on the knobbys, the best sign of "lack of use" can be the condition of those.

Good luck.

whatever you do, DON'T CHOP THE THROTTLE ON THE FACE OF A JUMP!! :)

You will endo INSTANTLY...that is upon landing. :D

Blitzer, You may be wise to throw a couple of bucks to a reputable dealer to do a once over on the mentioned bike. If there is a problem, it could save you alot of headaches and/or money.

Just an idea. TC

Dont forget to strip the swingarm and grease it - it WILL be dry and cost you nothing now - big bucks later!!

If its only done 100 miles the kickstart should be hardly marked where it hits the footpeg.

Plus the handlebar levers should have no slap and not be polished at all.

Good luck, enjoy the bike!!

Originally posted by blitzer544:

When I first heard an yz426f I thought that it has some serious problems with the top-end, compared to my old XR6.

After 4 months I got a brand new from the shop and it sounded exactly the same way.

It's a great bike, I love it!

Sabin

hey blitzer, does the guy selling it have a tricked out dr 350 too? We met a guy while riding south pedlar that was on a 99 wr and said he had a dr350 that would spank his wr. I told him to come here and get some info on setting up his bike because it was all stock. If it is the same guy then he is b.s.ing about the ridden since 99. I have a 2000 and didn't even get mine until april of 2000. I think we saw him there last year. Let me know.

Also, I have a 2000 wr400 street legal for sale with extras. gotta get the 2003. Probably for the same price as his. Let me know.