low compression on wr400 1998

i got my wr400 out of storage. i tried to start it, it was giving my trouble so i was using starter fluid. it would start and run good for a couple of seconds then stall. i tried spraying some carb cleaner in carb to clean it up put it back together and now it has very little compression. i can kick it over with compression release lever very easily, almost like a small 2 stroke. what could cause that?

i can kick it over with compression release lever very easily, almost like a small 2 stroke. what could cause that?

I assume you mean "without" the compression release. If you are kicking with the compression release lever pulled, it should kick over very easily...

sorry i meant with compression it is very very easy. without compression release pulled in it kids easily, it has some resistence but nothing like it should. before i had to bounce my whole weight to get engine to spin now i can do with my hand. the compression release moves at engine head. is that all i need to check or am i missing something?

• 1 year later...