Does anyone smell oil?

Yeah dude they're tring to screw ya. It does not run as good without it, but not "bad" by any means. Just dosent seem to have that "snap" when you gas her. Buy a multimeter from lowes or radoshack ($20-30) and test it yourself. Its easy.

Ok, another update. They are saying the TPS didn't fix the problem and they are not going to charge me for it, they said the bike was out of time by one tooth, but that didn't fix it, they checked the compression and it is a little low but not enough to worry about. They are currently waiting to hear back from Yamaha to see if there has ever been any other issues like this. They are saying they think it is the cdi box. This is getting ridiculous. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a new one by the time this is all done!

put a 45 pilot, fuel screw @ 1 3/4-2 turns out.

Ok, another update. They are saying the TPS didn't fix the problem and they are not going to charge me for it, they said the bike was out of time by one tooth, but that didn't fix it, they checked the compression and it is a little low but not enough to worry about. They are currently waiting to hear back from Yamaha to see if there has ever been any other issues like this. They are saying they think it is the cdi box. This is getting ridiculous. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a new one by the time this is all done!

Tell them to check the pilot circuit. Thats what my moneys on. Sounds like your shop is just throwing parts at the problem. I would think about taking it elsewhere. I would be very, very suprised if its the CDI.

Ok, final update. I finally got it fixed. Apparantly the slide for the carb is a two part piece. The front piece has a right way to be put in, which was upside down. This causes the carb to close off all of the fuel when the throttle is off. This causes the carb to run very lean and back fire. Thanks for everyones input.

I just had my YZ450F 2003, rebuilt (full), just did my 1st oil change and could smell a little oil from breather hose.

Regarding the poping on decal, mine does it sometimes, but not heaps. So I wouldn't imagine that you need a rebuild, but then I am no mechanic.

After getting the bike back I started smelling some burning oil. Could the mechanic have done anything to cause this?

Thanks.

Did the mechanic do an oil change by any chance?

When I change my oil I can smell it a little for the first few rides. I use Motul oil and I actually like the smell it gives off hahaha.

Ok, final update. I finally got it fixed. Apparantly the slide for the carb is a two part piece. The front piece has a right way to be put in, which was upside down. This causes the carb to close off all of the fuel when the throttle is off. This causes the carb to run very lean and back fire. Thanks for everyones input.

Thanks for the update. How long has the slide been like that? Who put it in upside-down?

By the way, the screw to adjust the pilot circuit on a typical two-stroke carby is called an air screw, because it lets more air in. And on a typical four-stroke carby, it's called a fuel-screw, because it lets more gas in. An air screw is typically located on the air box side of the carby, and fuel screw typically is on the engine side.

Not real sure who turned the slide upside down or how long it has been like that. I take the carb off and clean it at the beginning of the riding season, but I have never taken the slide apart, at leas not to my knowledge. Who knows. I am just glad it is fixed.

PS, has any one seen the new yz 250? I can't wait to see it's big brother!

Not real sure who turned the slide upside down or how long it has been like that. I take the carb off and clean it at the beginning of the riding season, but I have never taken the slide apart, at leas not to my knowledge. Who knows. I am just glad it is fixed.

PS, has any one seen the new yz 250? I can't wait to see it's big brother!

Not to slam your dealer....but ***??? They IMMEDIATELY jump to the conclusion that it's the TPS, then when it doesn't fix the problem it's the CDI or the *so on and so on*......IMO, they should have checked spark and compression, then when those showed promising signs a quick carb cleaning (and inspection to see what jets are in there to begin with) before mis-diagnosing parts. I see this all the time, and I can't help but comment about how sick I am of it. Most of these dealers have 3rd rate (at best) mechanics working on your "baby" and they really couldn't care less about it's true condition...they just want to rack up the repair bill to make their job more sustainable.

And the whole "timing was off by one tooth"....huh???? If it's run like that for the last 6 years, AND the timing is now somehow off, how about finding out WHY???? I'd pull the stator cover and stator and have a look at the teeth on the crank to see if they are goobered. Takes very little time and could save you a ton down the road, depending on what they look like. Plus, I'd RECHECK the timing to see if the 19 year old "mech" really did know what he was talking about....

Sorry to rant, I just hate seeing a fellow biker get the run around without solid quality honest service........

Just a FYI post. Glad to hear you got it fixed, I had a popping problem on my '04 450. A little popping IS normal but mine was crazy bad. Some trial and error but this is what fixed it for me.

Popping Fix:

Main Jet - 165

Pilot Jet - 48 - was 40 (stock is 42)(bought bike used)

Needle moved to 3rd clip

Tusk Fuel Mixture Screw-$11.99 (It's a dial, with numbers that sticks out so its easier to make the fuel screw adjustments and keep track of # of turns)

Also, if at all possible, avoid dealerships like the plague. And I whole heartedly agree with Butta's comment about re-checking everything they told you "could have" been the problem, to be painfully honest, if it were me I would re-check everything their "19 yr old mech" touched. Just for peace of mind, that's me though. Again congrats on getting it figured out.