2002 yz426f head on a 1999 yz400f cylinder

I know this question has been asked in different ways but I thought I would try again. I have a 1999 yz400f with a damaged head. I am looking at a 2002 yz426f head on ebay to replace it. Looking at part numbers, it is obvious they are not the same part but I have been told that the only difference between the two motors is the stroke increasing the displacement. Everything else is the same. Would it be a mistake to purchase this head or am I good to go?

You will be good to go as far as fit. Remember, tho, that the 426 heads (01 and 02) have Ti valves, so I would base my "buy it now" price on having to replace the valves and springs and cut the seats.

On the L/H side of the intake port, your 400 has a nipple that the hot start "octopus" connects to. There isn't one on the 426 head (hence the different part number), but there is a boss. You can drill out the boss and add a nipple to connect the hot start, or find a gen 2 FCR carb that has hot start incorporated in to the carb.

What about the 2000 426, does it match up better as far as hot start and does it have stainless steel valves?

What about the 2000 426, does it match up better as far as hot start and does it have stainless steel valves?

Yeah you got it.

The 2000 has SS valves, but no hot start port.

Thanks to all! I will keep looking

Hey guys I have a 2002 yz426f i found a really good deal on a 1999 yz400f I aS just wondering if a lot of the parts are interchangeable like plastics seats Wingate forks rims and ECT thanks I'm advanced for advice