HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
silentZ

Bike Rattling sound 08 yz450

8 posts in this topic

Hey,

I was at the track this weekend and my friend's wife was watching us ride and she said that my bike sounded different than everyone else's. She said it sounded like something was rattling. I think it may be the chain slack, but as far as I can tell, the slack is within spec. It's an O ring chain. Does anyone know the actual measurement on distance from the chain guide to the bottom of the chain? Also, I am running Ironman sprockets.

thanks for any help

Does anyone know the actual measurement on distance from the chain guide to the bottom of the chain?
1.9~2.3" from the rear slider bolt to the bottom of the lifted chain, measured with the rear wheel off the ground.

It's in your manual.

I want to bet it is not ratteling but the special noise is the Slapping chain. Just a thought. I went through it and then got a non o ring. MUCH O BETTER O

I meausred it and it came out to be 2" exactly. So you're saying that replacing the O ring chain with a non O ring will stop the slap sound? I will replace them all as a unit, but there is little wear and since Ironmans last a long time, I will not be replacing them soon.

O-ring to non-sealed or vice-versa will not stop the slapping. Real chain slap typically occurs when you ride at low rpm/heavy throttle, "lugging" it.

I have the chain slap when I'm doing just what gray racer mentioned. Lugging it. Usualy it;s when I pull on the track in 2nd gear at a low speed. I did have a jingle noise that I found to be the top nut on the shock. The top one of two that you use to adjust the rear shock. It came loose and was rattling when I hit the throttle.