Motor switch to green sticker frame

I don't see why it can't be done. I mean service honda stuffs 250f engines in a chassis that was designed to accept an 85cc 2 smoker. Stuffing a 450 motor in a 426 frame should be cake.

The '03-'05 YZ plastics/gastank/subframe/airbox swap is popular on the YZ 426 so I think you should be able to swap all that stuff between the WR 426 and 450.

If you have a 426 frame available its worth a shot ?

It's been in the back of my mind to do the same thing. I have a plated WR400 and would love to have E-start. I'm just waiting to find a good price on a steel frame WR450 and then I'll be moving everything over to the plated frame. I figure if I find a decent deal on a WR450 I can sell all the leftover parts and almost break even.

Dave are you thinking about thumping again?

if so i may be joining you.......

btw, how's jr?

and i seriously doubt any ranger would ever go beyond a vin check.....

Yeah Chuck, I'm trying to build something so I can ride during the summer months.

Jr is good. We went camping over Easter. He rode Mama's Quad. Shifter on the bars. He cant yet use his left foot yet. Nerve damage to left leg gave him drop foot. Doctor says 1 year to 18 months before nerve will heal. Still lots of rehab but he did start to walk with out the crutches. But can be without them just yet.

He's hoping after summer that maybe he'll be able to get back on the bike.

An 05/06 wr450 frame is also green sticker. That may fit with no mods whatsoever.

All though the motor should fit, my concern would be more with the numbers on the pink slip not matching the actual bike due to the motor swap.

Unless you plan on never selling the bike, I think the only way you would be able to do it is to buy a frame that is green stickered that has never been registered in CA....do the swap, have a vin verification done and then register with the bill of sale you received with the frame...

Other then that, i think you are SOL on have matching paperwork/bike

I think about this alot. The registration is held by the frame number(vin) the engine number is not an issue. "I throw a rod and had to get new cases mr ranger."

You will need the 450 wire harness and airbox with battery. you may need the sub frame for the airbox. Maybe new ignition coil.

Oil line may need adjustment.

You may need to adjust the exhaust header depending on the final motor position.

Should be quite doable!?

I think about this alot. The registration is held by the frame number(vin) the engine number is not an issue. "I throw a rod and had to get new cases mr ranger."

You will need the 450 wire harness and airbox with battery. you may need the sub frame for the airbox. Maybe new ignition coil.

Oil line may need adjustment.

You may need to adjust the exhaust header depending on the final motor position.

Should be quite doable!?

Except that doesn't past CARB requirements.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/bluebook/bb09/VEH/VEH-38390.htm

and it definitely doesn't meet the green sticker requirement that the bike (the whole thing, front to back) as delivered by the manufacturer meets the CA OHRV emmisions requirements for that model year.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/cyclecert/finohvinsert.pdf

That's like saying that it's OK to remove the AIS because there's no number stamped on the AIS parts, or I can put a YZ450F engine (red sticker bike) in my WR450F of the same year (green sticker bike). Whether a person will get caught is one thing. Whether it's legal in CA - or not - is quite another. Just sayin'...

Anyway, sounds like fun!?

Except that doesn't past CARB requirements.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/bluebook/bb09/VEH/VEH-38390.htm

and it definitely doesn't meet the green sticker requirement that the bike (the whole thing, front to back) as delivered by the manufacturer meets the CA OHRV emmisions requirements for that model year.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/cyclecert/finohvinsert.pdf

That's like saying that it's OK to remove the AIS because there's no number stamped on the AIS parts, or I can put a YZ450F engine (red sticker bike) in my WR450F of the same year (green sticker bike). Whether a person will get caught is one thing. Whether it's legal in CA - or not - is quite another. Just sayin'...

Anyway, sounds like fun! ?

Not to split hairs here but if we all followed that logic (which is correct) then every person who changed jets in their carburetor is illegal and in violation of CARB. laws.

all I am saying is that the bike would be registrable with little trouble.

• Like 1

Not to split hairs here but if we all followed that logic (which is correct) then every person who changed jets in their carburetor is illegal and in violation of CARB. laws.

all I am saying is that the bike would be registrable with little trouble.

Hehe, there are few things worse than laws that go beyond idiotic like CARB's'. ?

That's like saying that it's OK to remove the AIS because there's no number stamped on the AIS parts, or I can put a YZ450F engine (red sticker bike) in my WR450F of the same year (green sticker bike).

Apples and oranges. The WR and YZ 426 were red sticker bikes when first sold. The fact that their engine and frame #s are emissions non compliant doesn't make a difference because they're grandfathered into the green sticker program. Stuffing another non compliant engine into the bike technically shouldn't be a big deal since that model year bike is grandfathered.

Now if you were talking about stuffing an '05 YZ 450f engine into an '05 WR 450f I can see where you might get into trouble since the '05 WR engine "family" #s are green sticker certified and the '05 YZ engine "family" #s are classified as non compliant.

hillclimbguy go for it! Post pics of the build along the way!!!

All though the motor should fit, my concern would be more with the numbers on the pink slip not matching the actual bike due to the motor swap.

Unless you plan on never selling the bike, I think the only way you would be able to do it is to buy a frame that is green stickered that has never been registered in CA....do the swap, have a vin verification done and then register with the bill of sale you received with the frame...

Other then that, i think you are SOL on have matching paperwork/bike

But if the frame comes with the title he can register it no probs.

Apples and oranges. The WR and YZ 426 were red sticker bikes when first sold. The fact that their engine and frame #s are emissions non compliant doesn't make a difference because they're grandfathered into the green sticker program. Stuffing another non compliant engine into the bike technically shouldn't be a big deal since that model year bike is grandfathered.

Now if you were talking about stuffing an '05 YZ 450f engine into an '05 WR 450f I can see where you might get into trouble since the '05 WR engine "family" #s are green sticker certified and the '05 YZ engine "family" #s are classified as non compliant.

Are you talking about every year of these bikes or just the first? I bought my 02 wr426 new in 02 and have had a green sticker since day one

Well, almost.

It's not the "engine family" that's green or red stickered. It's the individual bike model, as identified by the VIN code. So you *could* have a WR450F get a red sticker whilst a WR250F gets a green sticker for the same model year. Accordingly, Yamaha *could* get all of their YZs to pass CARB emmissions and get them green stickered. Doubt that would happen.

Anyway, my original post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

I'd build it and ride it. ?

Are you talking about every year of these bikes or just the first? I bought my 02 wr426 new in 02 and have had a green sticker since day one

Maybe you got lucky? Or the DMV was already issuing green stickers for those things by the time you got yours.

Here is the executive order for your bike.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/ofhrv/ofmcatv_nc/2002/yamaha_ofmc_un0040036_426.pdf

Pay special attention to:

IT IS ORDERED AND RESOLVED....the following off highway recreational vehicles produced by the manufacturer do not complywith the emissions standards in 13 CCR section 2412(? are certified as described below
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the listed vehicles are subject to use restrictions on public off highway vehicle riding areas and riding seasons...blah blah blah