02 yz426..Any good?

Well being use to riding big bikes and wanting to try something different,i sold my cr500 and picked up a yz250f with the 290 big bore. But as you can imagine, im getting bored and want more. Iv come across a 02 yz426 and wondering if theres anything special i should know about these bikes? I dont race, just a little woods riding and a bunch of hill climbing in the local gravel pits.

Well being use to riding big bikes and wanting to try something different,i sold my cr500 and picked up a yz250f with the 290 big bore. But as you can imagine, im getting bored and want more. Iv come across a 02 yz426 and wondering if theres anything special i should know about these bikes? I dont race, just a little woods riding and a bunch of hill climbing in the local gravel pits.

If that's the case, the YZ426 will be perfect for you. They're heavy for racing, but for play riding they're a lot of fun. You will be smiling every time you twist the throttle (4th gear wheelies!!!!!!).

Another benefit is that they're extremely reliable, provided they're maintained properly. Inspect the valves when you first get it and invest in a reusable stainless steel oil filter (trust me on this one), then keep up on your oil changes and air filter cleanings.

I went from a KX500 to 2000-YZ426 and would say there is not a huge power differance. You definatly don't have the top end of a 500 but the power delivery from bottom to mid is pretty similar. Plus, the 426 power band is more usable.

Overall it's been a great change... The 426 is reliable and good trail bike.. I would definatly recomond buying a 426 with my baisis opinion...

i have the 426(2002) 2 years now and i ride about 4 times a month.i have never check the valves,and never change the sparkplug if that tell you something.cold just needs about 4 kicks and its working just fine!i change the oil and oil filter every 4 rides,and the only think i dont like its the weight

• 2 weeks later...

I owned my '01 for a couple years before it was stolen :excuseme:. Then switched to crf450r. I loved my 426, it made really awesome power, it pulled soo hard. Kind of reminded me of an old muscle car vs newer muscle cars. The 426 is fast but it weighs appr. 240 lbs compared a to 220 lb crf. Because of the weight you will have to reduce your speed a bit earlier before entering corners - I know you said trail riding is your thing but you still run into (no pun intended) those hair raising situations when you need to stop NOW.

All in all, the 426 was very reliable for me. For the time I owned it, it never needed any valve adjustments - and yes, I checked them all the time and rode the piss of out that bike. If your a taller rider I think it would be a very good idea to invest in some tall bars, as the lower bar bends feel very, very, low. I smile thinking about that bike - I think you will really like the 426 for any kind of riding!

here's a picture of me on my '01 at the base of blowsand...

Picture738.jpg

I didn't even know that you could buy an auto de-compression cam. That is badass!! Kind of funny that Honda has had that technology since the mid 1980's and Yamaha hasn't caught on yet. Back in the day a friend of mine bet me he could start my 426 with his bare hands, much to my amazement, he did! :excuseme: I would not recommend trying that.

I didn't even know that you could buy an auto de-compression cam. That is badass!! Kind of funny that Honda has had that technology since the mid 1980's and Yamaha hasn't caught on yet.

Yamaha has been using auto decompression since '03. It started using AD cams when it became necessary in order to make the electric start WR work. You can use an '03 cam in the older bikes with custom timing, or simply buy a drop-in aftermarket cam from Hot Cams or others that's already set up for the older head.