Replace The Crank???

Why replace the crank? Is it getting damaged when the key shears? I'm sure the crank is the same PN for the YZ, so I don't see the crank as being the source of the problem, but that is pure speculation on my part.

More speculation: The problem is the WR stator doesn't fit the crank end properly.

?

If Yamaha decides the woodruff key problem is the result of a bad batch of cranks, would it be acceptable for them to replace the offending cranks??? Or, should they replace the entire motor??? Like Honda did with the VF500.

I think the problem is the one-way starter clutch feeding 100% of backfire torque into the starter motor. (Mine backfired, I heard the starter motor spin backwards, and that was all she wrote.)

If it takes a new crank, I just want the parts. I'd rather split the cases myself than have a flat-rate mechanic chisel them apart. Mine's at the dealer right now only because I want a warranty claim filed. I only hope it doesn't get stolen or crashed while it lives in their parking lot.