HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bg10459

Pre '06 -vs- '07+ starters????

7 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a better alternative for the starter motor for my 03 WR450. I noticed the part number changed slightly in '07 from a -20-00 suffix to a -30-00; otherwise they're identical. It's also a few $$ cheaper than the older versions.

Does anyone know what changes were made?

Will it fit on the earlier bikes?

Does it perform any better than the pre '06 motors?

I believe they mount differently, and I don't think the late one will fit the early bike. As far as I know there's very little difference in them electrically. Any motor currently sold to fit the '03 is an upgrade to the original '03 motor, however.

Any motor currently sold to fit the '03 is an upgrade to the original '03 motor, however.
Well, that's good news. I noticed the suffix change from -00 to -20 and figured the -30 change might be a further improvement. :p

I believe the motor itself is the same in either one, and the difference is in the end frames.

Don't put too much stock in part#'s. Yamaha routinely gives different part #'s for different years, models, etc. even though the part is the same. Doesn't seem to make sense but that's the way they do it.