Carbon fiber exhaust

I just ordered the Factory 4.1c exhaust for my Yz450f that I got a killer deal on. Alot of sites and reviewers don't recomend carbon fiber exhausts because of their short lifespan. If I repack my exhaust often and maintain it good, is there any reason it shouldn't last as long as a aluminum or titanium exhaust? Also, how many hours between packing a carbon fiber exhaust. Thanks

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure CF needs special packing (that costs more) to protect it from heat. I do know that with White Bros. in the same size aluminum canister the repacking kit was half the cost of a CF repack kit.

Yeah, it's $60 bucks for the packing. At least thats what it's price is directly from FMF. I think it's worth the cost, I love the CF look. I tried finding a White Brothers Carbon Pro II but they are few and far between.

You can use normal four stroke packing. You should repack any pipe as soon as the packing starts to deteriorate, just a lot of people neglect to do it. I repack my pipes (and one of them is a factory 4.1C) every 10 hours, but it depends on how hard you ride. As long as you repack them often you don't have to worry about the can exploding from a hot spot, but you can still break the carbon fiber can in a crash pretty easily, they are very very thin.

You can use normal four stroke packing. You should repack any pipe as soon as the packing starts to deteriorate, just a lot of people neglect to do it. I repack my pipes (and one of them is a factory 4.1C) every 10 hours, but it depends on how hard you ride. As long as you repack them often you don't have to worry about the can exploding from a hot spot, but you can still break the carbon fiber can in a crash pretty easily, they are very very thin.

Thanks. Your recommendation in a different thread is actually one of the main reasons I bought the FMF. If the pipe is damaged in a crash does FMF offer replacement parts or warantees?

Thanks. Your recommendation in a different thread is actually one of the main reasons I bought the FMF. If the pipe is damaged in a crash does FMF offer replacement parts or warantees?

I doubt they will warranty it, as that is the risk you run with a carbon exhaust, but you can buy replacement parts right from FMF. However, the price of a new carbon sleeve is not cheap and you can normally find a used slip on on ebay for much less than a new can. I have actually bought a factory 4.1C that was cracked on ebay and repaired it myself with success.

Personally, I think the titanium factory 4.1 with a stainless midpipe is the best bang for the buck. It is the same performance, holds up way better, costs $180 less, and only weighs about two ounces more, which is unnoticeable once on the bike.

I doubt they will warranty it, as that is the risk you run with a carbon exhaust, but you can buy replacement parts right from FMF. However, the price of a new carbon sleeve is not cheap and you can normally find a used slip on on ebay for much less than a new can. I have actually bought a factory 4.1C that was cracked on ebay and repaired it myself with success.

Personally, I think the titanium factory 4.1 with a stainless midpipe is the best bang for the buck. It is the same performance, holds up way better, costs $180 less, and only weighs about two ounces more, which is unnoticeable once on the bike.

I only paid $580 for the complete and everything was brand new. The Carbon exhaust was cheaper than the titanium, I even called to verify their pricing. I really couldn't pass up the deal, and judging from most pictures I've seen, the exhaust doesn't stick too far out from the rear fender. I don't go down too often, but it seems like it would be somewhat out of the way for most crashes.