Seal Savers vs Fork Boots

I had a set of seal savers on my bike at the beginning aof last season. We had a very wet spring last year, and there was lots of snow and mud. I found that they held too much grit and moisture in, despite trying to clean them off at the car wash after every ride. I put them on to prevent my front forks from leaking, but didn't seem to help any. I took them off, and haven't used them since. ?

Fork boots are for conventional forks. On USD forks, they would hang low and snag on everything, plus interfer with with brake mts. etc. Seal savers with lower fork protectors are the way to go on USD forks. They are kinda the same thing, but slimmer, tighter and just for keeping dirt out as opposed to deflecting/cushioning roost.

I think Seal Savers are the greatest thing ever inveted. Not to mention simple! Why didnt someone think of these before.

Anyways, I was replacing seals every 5-6 rides because of the mud and grit. After putting my seal savers on more than a year and a half ago, I havent had a problem since.

I imagine I will have to change the fluid before I have to change another seal.

Well worth the money.. ($22 US i think?)

I am a Seal Saver believer. I was having the weepy seal syndrome all too often and I am happy to have a "joke" that actually works!!!

This may not be the product of choice for someone who is willing to perform fork maintenance every couple months or so.

I have different demands on my time and have found these items to exceed my expectations. Just make sure to clean them out after you ride.

My goal is to arrange things so that I spend more time riding the bike than servicing it if at all possible, especially when it means servicing the same item repeatedly.

Just FYI, you can get 51"x12" of 3mm neoprene (same stuff as what's in seal savers) for a bit more than $12 from foamorder.com. This is enough to make 2 sets of "Seal Savers" and you can even make one for the shock too. I like the one I made for the shock, makes cleaning the muck sooo much easier, it keeps it from getting inbetween the spring layers, keeps roost out of the shock area too. Here you can kinda see what it looks like on my old KDX shock. Hope it helps. ?

PS Sealsavers work great, no leaks in over 2 years. :D

hey squid... i had my fork seals leak when we are exposed to thick muddy situations...i think they work great...you may want to check and see how your dust scrubbers are holding up...they may not be properly seated.