Noticed a couple things after my four day riding trip. i need some help

My bike (08 yz450f) does not like to go slow. At none to quarter throttle the bike is either accelerating or totally off the power. This only happens when riding with the kids slowly, trying to maintain a steady low rpm for a long time. Would a heavier flywheel help with slow riding and hill climbs?

My bike runs and starts great, however i have noticed a little black soot on the inside of my pipe after each ride. Is this normal or am i rich?

Jetting is

main 168

pilot 42

leak 50

needle NFLP

Riding at 2200-3300 feet mostly

60F-90F

If you do alot of slow riding, a new sprocket(s) would help alot. A flywheel weight would compliment your new gearing. Id try gearing first though.

A little black soot is completely normal.

I thought gearing would help too, I went from a 49 rear to a 51. 1st gear is much lower and it really helped in the tight stuff and it made wheelies super easy. but the ride is still really jerky when giving it gas in the slow speed stuff. Im thinking a 11oz FWW will help me out alot. but i dont want to spend that money without knowing for sure.

Thanks for your replys guys

YZ450's are full on race bikes and are not designed for and don't like to putt along smoothly at low throttle openings so anything you do (gearing, FWW) will only take a little bit of the edge off of it. As a matter of fact, gearing it lower might even exacerbate the issue by making the bike that much more snappier and responsive to slight twitches of the throttle from hitting bumps.

The best thing I have found for trying to maintain a slow, steady pace is a very light throttle hand.

I have a similar problem while trying to go as slow and quiet as possible thru our neighborhood to the riding spot. Stock 08 YZ450. I thought it was a lean needle setting. Dropped the clip with no improvement. Wonder if a different needle would help?

I agree with the FWW. I have the heavy GYTR and it makes a huge difference. If you plan on doing any moto I would go with the lighter of the two as the heavy one takes most of the snap away. PM me about the heavy one, I'll be doing some testing this weekend and may end up not liking it.

I would also reccomend going to a 165 main and a 45 pilot jet. I found the 42 to be a bit lean.

Russ

Who has some riding experience with the 1st GYTR option slightly heavier FWW ( Adds 4.83 oz. for an inertia mass of 4.9 kg-cm² (stock inertia mass=3.8 kg-cm²) 30%)

I got this as part of a deal with my Scotts damper and am about to put it on, just wanted to hear others ride reports with it.

I am pretty sure that putting the 51 tooth sprocket on made the problem slightly worse. However now i dont need to slip the clutch hardly at all when taking off. and that is worth the top end loss. (This really payed off this last trip, trying to climb up river beds with the 49 tooth would have me kicking her back to life all day!)

I agree about the 45 pilot as i am seeing that the 42 might be slightly lean. i think im going to install the stock needle. one clip richer and then go with all stock jets and then a 165(winter/Pismo trips) 160(summer) main because im running the FMF 4.1 titanium.

Thanks for all your help guys!! I dont think ill go with the FWW because i dont want to lose the snap my bike has!

Who has some riding experience with the 1st GYTR option slightly heavier FWW ( Adds 4.83 oz. for an inertia mass of 4.9 kg-cm² (stock inertia mass=3.8 kg-cm²) 30%)

I got this as part of a deal with my Scotts damper and am about to put it on, just wanted to hear others ride reports with it.

IMO, it's barely noticeable, and will only show up as slight improvements in traction on loose surfaces. It will hurt nothing, though, and will help a little.

Let us know what you think after you give it a ride or two. I'd be curious to hear a second ride report about the lighter one. Would you be interested in a swap if we aren't happy with the ones we have.

Gray - Thanks for the info too.