06 yz450 popping out of 5th gear?

on my dads 06 yz450 when he goes into 5th it will pop out of 5th back into 4th? any body ever had this problem? thanks Rick

Check the condition of the roller on the end of the "stopper lever", or shift cam indexing arm. It can be inspected and replaced by removing the right crankcase cover and the clutch, wit the engine in the bike.

You may also have a wear issue with the 5th and 3rd gears on the main shaft, but since it's actually moving to a different gear rather than skipping out an into the same one, I'm suspicious of the indexer.

ight thanks ill have to check it out...thanks again Rick

check on the shift forks...sometimes when the fork gets bent or warped it will come out of gear...or the gear it'self may be worn

You probably have rounded off the dogs on gear 14. Same thing happened on my lasy yammy.

Did it happen all of a sudden? Have you been finding any larger than usual metal chunks in your oil?

7090_transmission.gif

As I hinted in my earlier post, this sounds a little unlike the typical worn lug issue. Reason is that that condition ordinarily leads to a "skipping gear" situation where the gears force themselves apart, then have themselves re-engaged by the shift fork as soon as they separate and loose their drive load. That happens because there is usually no way for the gear to push the fork out of position to a neutral location or to the next lower gear. Since he says the bike goes back to 4th, the shift cam must be moving, so the linkage pretty much has to be involved somehow.

Then again, if it's allowed to keep doing this, it will wear the lugs out eventually.

As I hinted in my earlier post, this sounds a little unlike the typical worn lug issue. Reason is that that condition ordinarily leads to a "skipping gear" situation where the gears force themselves apart, then have themselves re-engaged by the shift fork as soon as they separate and loose their drive load. That happens because there is usually no way for the gear to push the fork out of position to a neutral location or to the next lower gear. Since he says the bike goes back to 4th, the shift cam must be moving, so the linkage pretty much has to be involved somehow.

Then again, if it's allowed to keep doing this, it will wear the lugs out eventually.

My mistake Gray. I missed the info about the trans going back into 4th gear.