HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spirit

Chain Stretch

3 posts in this topic

Seemed like every time I got back from a ride on the 650, the chain needed a little tightening, and it didn't stop. Bought the sidewinder chain---no more readjusting after each ride. My 11 year old has a new XR100 doing the same thing. Any one else out there having this problem with a fairly new chain? My adjustment method is to load the suspension to the tightest point on the chain & then dial in the desired slack.

Spirit,seems to me you already answered your own question. until you put a good o-ring or standard chain on any bike you will get good at adjusting chains.

My 00 650 has never had this problem, in fact I am on the original chain and sprockets (with good life left)but have replaced 1 tire and often run a paddle on it. My impression from the dealer ( I asked because I wanted to re-gear it but never did) was that the stock chain was very strong and that it needed a special tool the install the master link, they also said that a normal 520 chain would snap if used on the 650. Possibly you are adjusting it wrong. I adjust mine by loosening the axle nut then slowly adjusting it on each side, making sure it is equal, and stop when I have about 2 fingers of space between the chain and the lower area of the chain slide, then I put a screw driver on one of the rear sprocket's teeth and roll the tire back, this causes the chain to tighten and suck the tire forward, then I tighten the nut and then the adjusting bolts and lock nuts