striped drain bolt on Ignition side

hey guys well my drain bolt on my ignition side striped out. i must of over tighted it the last time i put the bolt back on..

what would be the best way to fix this.. if i have to drill the hole out how do i not get metal shavings in my motor.. i was thinking of putting grease on the drill and tap so no shavings go into the motor..

or i get a timesert? and just make hole smaller ?

so what would be the best way to fix this problem?

o ya bike 06 yz 450

You need to insert a plug. I'm not sure all what is involved but some of the smart dealers drill out the whole. And then screw in some sort of plug in the new hole. After that fix you use a regular oil bolt..

Rob

Its called a threadsert you need to pull off the side case to do it right and not get any metal shavings in your motor.

It's called a Time-Sert, and you can't exactly "pull off" the left half of the crankcase.

Time-Serts nor Heli-Coils avoid the need to drill. Time-Serts are better choice because they are more likely to seal well. Greasing the bit is a good way to avoid chips in the engine. Likewise, grease the tap used to prep for the insert. Clean up with Q-Tips. Pour a bit of cheap engine oil through the dip stick hole and let it drain out to chase away the odd stray.

It's called a Time-Sert, and you can't exactly "pull off" the left half of the crankcase.

Time-Serts nor Heli-Coils avoid the need to drill. Time-Serts are better choice because they are more likely to seal well. Greasing the bit is a good way to avoid chips in the engine. Likewise, grease the tap used to prep for the insert. Clean up with Q-Tips. Pour a bit of cheap engine oil through the dip stick hole and let it drain out to chase away the odd stray.

ok on there website they have drain bolt kits http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html

would it be a smart idea to get one of these or there other ones on there websites?

DUH! I was just paraphrasing "thread insert" which would be a heli-coil or timesert.

Its not that hard to pull off the left crankcase cover, better than sending a bunch of metal shavings from a tap through your engine. . .now that doesn't sound smart:banghead:

DUH! I was just paraphrasing "thread insert" which would be a heli-coil or timesert.

Its not that hard to pull off the left crankcase cover, better than sending a bunch of metal shavings from a tap through your engine. . .now that doesn't sound smart:banghead:

im sorry but you do no to pull off the left crankcase cover means you have to split the cases right? that means taking apart the whole motor..

im sorry but you do no to pull off the left crankcase cover means you have to split the cases right? that means taking apart the whole motor..

Uh no you don't you can unbolt it while it is still on the bike thats how I am gonna do mine on Thursday. Maybe you should go out to your shop and have a closer look at your bike:thumbsup:

Uh no you don't you can unbolt it while it is still on the bike thats how I am gonna do mine on Thursday. Maybe you should go out to your shop and have a closer look at your bike:thumbsup:

i dont see how you can do that. you have to take your head off and cilinder and then spilt the cases.. and pull the motor out for this job

are you sure your not talking about the clutch side instead. because there is no way to take off the ingniton side without taking the whole motor apart

you can take the ingniton cover off but not the case without spliting

i think your talking about the crankcase cover http://www.generationmx.com/mxmall/2006YZ450Fcrankcasecover1.aspx

• Like 1

Finch,

The drain plug bore on the left side of an '06 and later YZF is NOT in the crankcase cover, it's in the crankcase, and as I already pointed out, you cannot simply remove it. If you don't want to pull the engine and split the cases, you are stuck with repairing it in place. If that is approached with reasonable caution, there is no problem with doing it that. Please stop distributing misinformation.

This is also true of the drain plug on the clutch side, incidentally.

i dont see how you can do that. you have to take your head off and cilinder and then spilt the cases.. and pull the motor out for this job

are you sure your not talking about the clutch side instead. because there is no way to take off the ingniton side without taking the whole motor apart

you can take the ingniton cover off but not the case without spliting

i think your talking about the crankcase cover http://www.generationmx.com/mxmall/2006YZ450Fcrankcasecover1.aspx

I think you are right! My bad:banghead:

I thought you were talking about the clutch side Sorry Dude!

Finch,

The drain plug bore on the left side of an '06 and later YZF is NOT in the crankcase cover, it's in the crankcase, and as I already pointed out, you cannot simply remove it. If you don't want to pull the engine and split the cases, you are stuck with repairing it in place. If that is approached with reasonable caution, there is no problem with doing it that. Please stop distributing misinformation.

This is also true of the drain plug on the clutch side, incidentally.

Thats fine whatever you say, I was obviously confused as I already admitted above.

I thought you were talking about the clutch side

To clear up any further confusion, BOTH drain plugs on the YZ450 are tapped directly into the crankcases. To my knowledge, it has never been otherwise.

I might also mention that it is an extremely bad idea to treat the crankcase (right side; clutch side) drain carelessly. I'm sure any of you who own one already know where it is. If stripped, it will require the engine to be lifted out of place to repair it.

To clear up any further confusion, BOTH drain plugs on the YZ450 are tapped directly into the crankcases. To my knowledge, it has never been otherwise.

I might also mention that it is an extremely bad idea to treat the crankcase (right side; clutch side) drain carelessly. I'm sure any of you who own one already know where it is. If stripped, it will require the engine to be lifted out of place to repair it.

Yes Gray I kow I was talking about the oil filter drain hole. . .