HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CyclePro238

Saving weight with Carbon Fiber?

12 posts in this topic

I am gonna start rebuilding my bike at the end of April and want to replace all the stock guards with Carbon Fiber parts from Light Speed. I am just wondering how much weight I could take off my bike doing this?

Thanks, Nick

Not enough to make it worth it. I doubt you could save more than a pound or two.

You could probably shed more weight by eating salads for a week..... :confused:

In all honesty, CF looks good and its lighter, but the majority (maybe all of us) are not good enough riders to tell any difference. But, you should go for it, if its what you want. :thumbsup:

It really is more about the bling than performance gain. My opinion is if you already have guards, then dont waste the cash.

The weight savings will be small if any, since CF weighs about the same as the plastic guards. Good CF is much much stronger than plastic though. I wouldn't go with lightspeed though, their stuff looks good, but in my experience it has all been junk. Lightspeed parts are what give carbon fiber parts a bad name.

Density of AL is .100 lb/Cu In...density of Graphite/Epoxy (carbon fiber) is .65 lb/cu in...so you will save 35% of whatever the aluminum weighs. Those aluminum guards probably weigh about 2 pounds all up.

Density of AL is .100 lb/Cu In...density of Graphite/Epoxy (carbon fiber) is .65 lb/cu in...so you will save 35% of whatever the aluminum weighs. Those aluminum guards probably weigh about 2 pounds all up.

I think you mean .065 lb/cu in. Most of the stock guards are plastic though, which has a density somewhere around .045 lb/cu in.

I think you mean .065 lb/cu in. Most of the stock guards are plastic though, which has a density somewhere around .045 lb/cu in.

Yup...damn those significant figures...

:thumbsup::confused::excuseme::banana::moon: :moon:

along with every sticker that adds 2hp

LOL hell ya my bike was definately faster with new graphics!:prof: