New "redneck" mod, haven't seen it here. My WELCOME MAT mod

So last weekend I rode my 07 YZ450 for the first time. It was muddy bt not soupy. I like to check my oil level on a new (to me) bike often. Well the front tire spits up so much mud right in between where you check the oil and the enginge it self. ICK! So I had to ride way over to the wash rack, wash the bike than check the oil. In My opinion that is a PITA.

After I got home, I washed the bike real good and had to use a dental tool and a tooth brush to get all the cacked on mud off from around the oil checker place.

I made a "mud flap" out of a $3 rubber Welcome mat.

I finally get to test it tomorrow. I'll post up if It works, if I like it and any thing else.

I just used some sissors, exacto knife and zip-ties.

The dirty place that is hard to clean

P4040008.jpg

The solution (I hope)

P4040011.jpg

Oh by the way, it works great, I am not a "log hopper" or rock climber with my bike. Where I ride is river flood areas. They are always very muddy and sandy.

I could see the use of a skid plate if I was worried about rocks and such.

I have a Works Connection plate on mine. It makes me so mad that they put holes in the front allowing mud to go right in. What the hell do the holes do? Cooling? hardly! Weight savings? almost none! Look cool? Not at all ! Increased production cost? YES!! Then they give you foam to put in there which eventually turns into a heavy dirt clod if you leave it in.

I made a plastic piece that covers the WC holes and goes farther up to block mud from entering anywhere.