HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim813

Using different rate fork springs?

13 posts in this topic

If I am trying to achieve a .490kg/mm spring rate, and I don't believe anyone makes .490kg/mm springs for a 08 yz450f, can I use a .480kg/mm spring in one fork leg and a .500kg/mm fork srping in the other fork leg without having any problems?

If I am trying to achieve a .490kg/mm spring rate, and I don't believe anyone makes .490kg/mm springs for a 08 yz450f, can I use a .480kg/mm spring in one fork leg and a .500kg/mm fork srping in the other fork leg without having any problems?

Try calling Stich at trix stix suspension (East side) or Palo Verde suspension (west side) both local shops.

Yes you can, its common practice in most suspension shops.

Thanks,

My only other quetsion is could I use a .47kg/mm spring in one leg and a .50kg/mm in the other to achieve .485kg/mm?

Yeah, you can do that, but that is about as far a difference in springs that I'd go between the two sides. I wouldn't recommend more than that.

I measured the spring rate of my 08 YZ450 springs to be .49 even though the manual says they are supposed to be .47 . I have a highly accurate way of testing them. I bought some .45 springs from Factory Connection and I measured them to be exactly that using same test. I don't put any faith in the rate until I have measured them for myself.

My 2 cents worth....

Two different rate springs to achieve a third overall rate. Never thought of that. I may try it

I have a highly accurate way of testing them....

Would you mind sharing your method (especially if it can be accomplished in the garage w/o specialized equipment)?

The effective rate in the fork is the sum of both springs, whether they match exactly or not. As long as they are reasonably close in rate, differences form one side to the other are OK.

Would you mind sharing your method (especially if it can be accomplished in the garage w/o specialized equipment)?

I'll start a new thread to explain how. I don't want to hijack this thread......

I'll start a new thread to explain how. I don't want to hijack this thread......

Thanks!

Dude your avatar looks damn near like my injury. tibia plateau break.

1547789796_l.jpg