blown head light on wr400

I recently pick up a 00 WR400 that came with a baja design kit. The headlight was blown when I got it. I put in a new automotive headlight and after a few rides the headlight is blown again. Are the highlights different for automotive than for off-road bikes? Could my problem be a bad baja design regulator? What can I do to check for the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

The bulbs are slightly different, motorcycle specific are supposed to be more vibration resistant. However, I suggest checking the charging voltage to ensure there is not a problem. Put your voltmeter on the battery and check the voltage at idle then at about 1/2 throttle. The voltage should not rise above 14.5 volts. If this checks out, I suggest you then check all connections, esp. all grounds.

you are on the right track, check your voltage regulator, the 400/426 do not have batteries so it is a straight regulator not a regulator/rectifier like on the 450's. Should be putting out aroun 12-14 VAC. Being baja designs it might be DC and may have a battery, not sure on their installations

you can go and get an hid for it for around 50$ on ebay and they are guarintead for a year. and i have never heard of any going out. that i what i have and i have never had a problem with it going out or anything like that.

You have to have full DC (floated ground) to run HID. You cannot put HID into a stock headlight shell and get a decent beam pattern.

You have to have full DC (floated ground) to run HID. You cannot put HID into a stock headlight shell and get a decent beam pattern.

i know. i just had mine done. baja designs did it. great job. really fast too