HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tweeter

wr seat is a pain in my butt

19 posts in this topic

Anybody try an aftermarket seat that doesn't cut you in to two halves? I use my bike on the street some and more than a few miles is killer. My bike must have the worst seat known to man. I looked at Corbins seat for the 2003THRU 2006 WR, but I am not sure I could make it work on my 2000 model.

Any thoughts?

Stay away form the SDG seats they're even harder than the stock seat. Everyone here recommends Guts Racing seats http://www.gutsracing.com/pages/yamahamain.html

Steve

I swapped out my stocker for an SDG and it was a noticable improvement. Much more comfortable than the stock POS. My only gripe is the cover was installed a little crooked at the front, although every other SDG seat I have seen was straight.

I have no experience with GUTS but I have heard good things about them.

I swapped out my stocker for an SDG and it was a noticable improvement. Much more comfortable than the stock POS. My only gripe is the cover was installed a little crooked at the front, although every other SDG seat I have seen was straight.

I have no experience with GUTS but I have heard good things about them.

I bought an SDG tall seat for my 04 WR450 and I think a 2x4 would have been softer but other than that it's a nice seat overall.

Steve

Don`t know if Guts has a seat for a 2000, but I put a Guts racing tall seat and foam on my 04 WR450 and it`s awesome. Rode 60 desert miles at a close to race pace without any monkeybutt. The stock seat sure is a first class POS.

I have a SDG on my '99 WR. It's standard height and was very comfortable, except I'm 6'5". So, I bought a Gutz tall seat from a fellow rider. If standard height seats work for you, I'll make you a good deal on a SDG. Oh wait, I have a Clarke tank on it so I actually have to use YZ seats. Sorry.

I found a cheaper option! somewhere on one of the forums I read a mod where you drill holes in the foam of the seat. At the bottom I think, quite a lot of small holes halfway into the foam and it allows the foam to have a bit more "give".Search the forums I'm sure you'll find the article.I will try look for it as well.

When I bought my '00 WR400, I removed the stock seat and installed an oak 2X4, big improvement.

When I bought my '00 WR400, I removed the stock seat and installed an oak 2X4, big improvement.

:thumbsup::confused::excuseme:

i had a moose seat on my last one. really comfy. on the newest bike i have a guts seat and it is mans best friend

I tried the seat foam modification posted above, and it seems to be considerably softer. I wont be able to tell for sure until I can get out for a good run, which will be at least a month or so. We are still snowmobiling here yet :thumbsup:

The whole process took maybe 40 minutes from seat off the bike to back on the bike. Would have been quicker if I had a proper staple gun. In addition to the regular outer foam there is a narrow section which makes up the base of the seat. This section consists of two seperate thin layers of foam. One is like a memory foam kind of deal, and the other is regular foam but much denser than the outter seat foam. Might be worth while replacing these two sections with a softer foam.

I agree that the stock WRF seat sucks, before selling my YZ2006 I swapped the foam and placed also half an inch of hard foam under it, which raises the seat height which better suits my riding style (I~m 6 ft 1). The YZ foam is much more gelly feeling. As the WRF has a battery you cannot simply swap the seats, you must keep the base and cut some foam from under the YZ foam, where the WRF~battery is placed. I also put some extra material on the seat cover which was required to compensate for the height increase. My bike is much better now.