Is the De-Comp pin still a issue with the Hot Cam's?

I know the hot cam's were known to have issues with e-starting, but I thought they would have had that covered by now??

I just picked up a set, and I can certainly say, the decomp pin is WAY shorter on the hot cam then my stock one. I also noticed the Hot Cam's part #'s are identical for a WR and a YZ, and from what I see on here, the decomp pin is not the same between the two bikes stock?

Won't be the end of the world to kick start it, but still....

Hell, I might get it all together, and the E-start may fire it up everytime, I'll let you all know!

Also, picked up Ti-Powercore for it...NICE looking pipe!

I know the hot cam's were known to have issues with e-starting, but I thought they would have had that covered by now??

I just picked up a set, and I can certainly say, the decomp pin is WAY shorter on the hot cam then my stock one. I also noticed the Hot Cam's part #'s are identical for a WR and a YZ, and from what I see on here, the decomp pin is not the same between the two bikes stock?

Won't be the end of the world to kick start it, but still....

Hell, I might get it all together, and the E-start may fire it up everytime, I'll let you all know!

Also, picked up Ti-Powercore for it...NICE looking pipe!

As far as I know, the stock WR and YZ cams are the same (except foe the location of the pin). The difference is in how you set the cam timing. The YZ timing is 1 tooth off of the WR timing, therefore the pin is relocated to suit.

As far as I know, the stock WR and YZ cams are the same (except foe the location of the pin). The difference is in how you set the cam timing. The YZ timing is 1 tooth off of the WR timing, therefore the pin is relocated to suit.

This only applies to the non e-start bikes. For the 03+ you need to run the cam timing as designed. YZ cam for YZ timing and WR cam for WR timing. At some point, I believe 06+ both exhaust and intake are different between the WR and YZ. As stated above, Hot Cam's timing is their own timing and you set it just like they tell you. Don't advance or retard to try to make the timing either a WR or YZ.

This only applies to the non e-start bikes. For the 03+ you need to run the cam timing as designed. YZ cam for YZ timing and WR cam for WR timing. At some point, I believe 06+ both exhaust and intake are different between the WR and YZ. As stated above, Hot Cam's timing is their own timing and you set it just like they tell you. Don't advance or retard to try to make the timing either a WR or YZ.

Good to know, I'll make sure to follow the instructions!

Sorry if I caused some confusion. I meant that the decomp pin is relocated/repositioned at the factory to suit the WR or YZ timing. I believe that the cam lobes are the same, just the location of the pin is different, so you need a YZ cam for YZ timing if you want the auto decomp to work properly.

That being said, Hotcams probably uses closer to YZ timing for the WR and the YZ, so they would be the same cam with the decomp pin in the same location. They make their money by giving your engine more zoom, so it would make sense that they would set their WR cam close to YZ timing as that would give a WR noticeable zoom to start with.

As Flyer05 said, Hotcam timing is Hotcam timing, not WR or YZ.

I might do that, just to be sure, but it may be fine...I found this on the website....

Can I use the 4022-1E Hot Cam for the YZF450 in my WR450 or YFZ450?

No, the 4022-1E and the 4044-1E cams have the identical cam profile. The only difference is the decompression pin height. The pin height is shorter for the engines with electric start. The electric starter will not turn the engine (with stock compression) over fast enough to build enough compression to start.

After hearing that there used to be a issue around this, and seeing the difference in the pin height, I was/am a little paranoid.