HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fletch 2

06 YZ450F Fork questions

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

i need to know what size fork cap wrench to get for my YZ450, i cant find it in the manual anywhere, also i need a guide as to what effects different wieght oils will have so i have a better idea of what to get wheather it be light, medium or heavy. Any help would be great.

Cheers.

outer fork cap is 49mm, inner wrench is a 36mm octagon.

you have to do a search here for different weight fork oils, but I think 99% would recommend a 5wt fluid, at least in the inner chamber

Hi,

i need to know what size fork cap wrench to get for my YZ450, i cant find it in the manual anywhere, also i need a guide as to what effects different wieght oils will have so i have a better idea of what to get wheather it be light, medium or heavy. Any help would be great.

Cheers.

A suspension guy could explain this much better than I but the twin chamber forks are not designed to have their action manipulated by different 'weights' of oil.

I whole-heartedly recommend using the Smart Performance 215.VM2.K5 'Taco Sauce' in your forks. Do a search in this forum for it or contact DaveJ.

A suspension guy could explain this much better than I but the twin chamber forks are not designed to have their action manipulated by different 'weights' of oil.

I whole-heartedly recommend using the Smart Performance 215.VM2.K5 'Taco Sauce' in your forks. Do a search in this forum for it or contact DaveJ.

I thought SPI's oil was different for different chambers??? They have SPI-3, SPI-4, and SPI-5, each for different areas and usage. Not sure if the numbers relate to oil weight or not.

BTW... i am loving my SPI oil and valving!!!

Kayaba uses 2.5 in the innerchamber. Showa is 5wt. I have been told that you run the lighter weight in the innerchamber so when the forks fade from heat you don't notice it as much (they are comparable to a shock).I have tried 2.5,3,5,and 10wt in the outter chamber and really couldn't notice a differance.

ok no worries, my manual recommends using S1 suspension oil, not sure if that has any reference to oil weight. I'll have a dig through this forum anyway and see what i can find. thanks.

ok i will re write my answer, i would use the ss01 5 wt in forks :thumbsup: