popping back into gear

Has anyone had an issue with their bike going from neutral to being in gear? I have an 08 yz 450f, with maybe 20 hours on it now. I noticed it the first time 2 weeks ago when I was loading it up on my truck. It was in neutral, I was pushing it up the ramp, and bam the back wheel locks up on me. I put it back in neutral and just pass it off as solmething wierd. Well, it happened again while sitting on my stand. I go to oil the chain and the rear wheel locks up again. I asked my buddy about it and he thought I may have had a bent shift fork. I think he was just trying to scare me. The bike runs and shifts just fine. Any ideas. I also thought I may have heard a ticking sound when I roll the bike forward slowley. This may have just been the sound the chain makes meshing with the sproket.

Has anyone had an issue with their bike going from neutral to being in gear? I have an 08 yz 450f, with maybe 20 hours on it now. I noticed it the first time 2 weeks ago when I was loading it up on my truck. It was in neutral, I was pushing it up the ramp, and bam the back wheel locks up on me. I put it back in neutral and just pass it off as solmething wierd. Well, it happened again while sitting on my stand. I go to oil the chain and the rear wheel locks up again. I asked my buddy about it and he thought I may have had a bent shift fork. I think he was just trying to scare me. The bike runs and shifts just fine. Any ideas. I also thought I may have heard a ticking sound when I roll the bike forward slowley. This may have just been the sound the chain makes meshing with the sproket.

bent shift forks are usually the main contributor for bikes to pop in and out of gear. There have been many problems with yamis doing this, but usually not with that small number of hours. Most of the time, they bend from hard shifting or slamming the bike into gear while racing, but can wear just like any other part too. Has it ever done anything weird while riding?

Read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=649713&highlight=popping+in+out+of+gear

Disregard the post on worn dogs. That would certainly have nothing to do with the bike dropping into gear with the engine off.

Frankly, I rather suspect you had a "neutral" between two gears other than 1 & 2. There is no indexing divot in the shift segment wheel for neutral at any other point, and if it was sitting between, say, 2 & 3, it could easily drop in of its own accord from being jounced around while loading.

Of course if this continues to happen, or if it exhibits any other odd behavior, an inspection would be warranted, but for now, my guess is it was just your mistake.

• 1 month later...