Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2DTrail

Tool Kit Question - Axel Nuts

18 posts in this topic

I am wondering what you guys do for axel nut wrench in your tool kit. I know the Back is 27mm (don't know the front off hand).

I have a pretty comprehensive yet small, pieced together, kit that I carry which works great. I actually use it when I do all of my maintenance/repairs to be sure nothing critical is missing. Just replaced the water pump seals/bearing/shaft today using my little kit (short of a torque wrench for putting it back together). Now, I know, I wouldn't replace that kind of thing on the trail but it is reassuring that I have the tools necessary for most repairs. Thanks to the WR's design, not much is required.

I was carrying an 8" crescent wrench but it doesn't open wide enough for the rear axel nut. I don't really want to carry a larger one if I can help it. Is there a special wrench made for the WR with the correct size for the front and rear axel nuts, or ??? Any input appreciated!

Front is a 24mm. The I have the motion pro versions of those wrench/tire lever combos. A bit lighter, but very spendy. I never would have put "sexy" and "tool" together in this context before I bought those bad boys, but they are sexy tools!

Front is a 24mm. The I have the motion pro versions of those wrench/tire lever combos. A bit lighter, but very spendy. I never would have put "sexy" and "tool" together in this context before I bought those bad boys, but they are sexy tools!

22mm for the front?

and my 22mm motionpro has too much thick aluminum around the wrench to fit properly ...... I end up using a small crescent wrench :thumbsup:

you can see that that metal from the cable guide is getting in the way of the 22mm wrench

22mmfrontaxle.jpg

I have the same one as coop, but just this past weekend I went to adjust my chain for the first time on the 08 and OMG did the dealer tighten that thing up too much. I actually bent my wrench and had to straighten it out again. The one thing you want to remember is even when in the garage working on your bike is to use your trail tools as much as possible. If you cant break it loose in the middle of the desert, your screwed. Not to manny guys (if any) bring a breaker bar in their trail packs. just too heavy.

Also, love the motion pro dual use bars, but damn expen$ive. I have the typical (3)8' motion pro bars with the little nipple on the end. much better than the big spoons. Even at home in the garage, I still use them. Need the parctice since i'm the the only one in my group that has the balls to have a 35lb back pack. I usually fix 2-flats a day in my camp on a big weekend and none of them are mine.

In my rear fender pack alone I carry a 21" tube, (6) paint gun CO2 bottles and CO2 filler, patch kit, (3) 8" motion pro wrench's, and a front/rear axcle wrench. The rest is in my back pack.

I concur. Just get the Motion Pro wrenches. And when you're working at home, use them to tighten the axle nuts so you will be able to get them off on the trail if you need to.

trailhead

I carry a Craftsman 6 in. Beak Jaw™ Adjustable Wrench, pricey at $25, but sometimes on sale. It has thin jaws that open wide to 28.7mm and guaranteed forever.

22mm for the front?

and my 22mm promotion has too much thick aluminum around the wrench to fit properly ...... I end up using a small crescent wrench :thumbsup:

You may be right about the size...I will have to double check. I files a bit off of the fork "axle block" to give me wrench clearence.

You may be right about the size...I will have to double check. I files a bit off of the fork "axle block" to give me wrench clearence.

I'll have to do this myself!

It's nice to have the tire spoons on the other side .....

now I want to have one more as I like three tire irons for changing tires but I don't know what size to choose .....

I carry motion pro aluminum tire irons in 24mm, 27mm and the 12/13mm. They work great on the trail--i have used them more than once to repair a flat.

Motion pro makes a 22mm socket that goes in one of the tire irons (i think the 27mm) that is specifically designed for the front axle. Better than carrying an extra wrench. (i carry the 24mm for my DRZ).

It is 22mm for the front and don't forget a 10mm for the pinch clamp bolts.

1 person likes this

My Motion pro 's have saved the day more than once. Must have, worth the money. It's a small investment when you total how much you spent to be stuck in the middle of no where with a flat. A trashed rim is more expensive. I agree, I use my pack tools to work on my bike most of the time. Pack tools = Garage tools.

It is 22mm for the front and don't forget a 10mm for the pinch clamp bolts.

Good call.

This kinda has to do with some of this but what size wrench is it to tightenin the chain i seem to no be able to find the one that fits.