YZ250F / YZ450F Lower triple clamp difference

Does anybody know what the difference is between the lower triple clamps on a 08 YZ250F and YZ450F ? The Yamaha part numbers are different. All of the other parts are the same. Pro Taper lists them as different too. I called Pro Taper and of course "the guy who would know" is not there this week. Applied lists the clamp sets as the same but they don't include a stem. The stem they list is different between 250 and 450. (I don't really want to call Applied and ask about my PT clamps).

I just acquired a set of Pro Taper clamps for a 08 250F and want to put them on my 08 450. With the OEM clamp and PT clamp side by side and can't measure any difference. The measurements of both stems are exactly the same. I bolted them on and they fit perfectly. I'm miffed.....

Anybody........ Anybody....... Bueller.........

Applied lists the clamp sets as the same but they don't include a stem. The stem they list is different between 250 and 450. (I don't really want to call Applied and ask about my PT clamps).
Applied clamps include a stem if you ask for one. The 450 prior to '08 had a stem that was ~10mm longer than the stem in a 250F. The '08 stem is 5mm shorter than the older ones.

Yeah, I figured it had to be the stem length. I know Yamaha shortened the steering head in 08. I assumed (I hate using that word!) that the 250 has a shorter head as well. In any case, with the clamps side by side, all of the bearing and threaded areas are in the same position and the total length is the same. The radiuses, diameter of center (hour glass taper) and center hole are slightly different with the PT unit being much more stout. There are a few threads protruding out the top nut just like the OEM when installed.

I'll ask PT about it next week when the guy gets back.

Thanks guys..........

Yeah, I figured it had to be the stem length. I know Yamaha shortened the steering head in 08. I assumed (I hate using that word!) that the 250 has a shorter head as well. In any case, with the clamps side by side, all of the bearing and threaded areas are in the same position and the total length is the same. The radiuses, diameter of center (hour glass taper) and center hole are slightly different with the PT unit being much more stout. There are a few threads protruding out the top nut just like the OEM when installed.

I'll ask PT about it next week when the guy gets back.

Thanks guys..........

The stems are different lengths, but only 5mm so you may be able to get away with it. Everything is the same in the threaded area, it is below that where the 450 stem is a little longer.

That is what has me miffed. The stems' overall length is exactly the same. If there was a 5mm difference I should be able to see it. The length of the center area (between the bearing areas) is also exactly the same as well. It's like what I have is really a 450 clamp in the first place.......

• 3 weeks later...
im trying to find out why 06-07 top clamps are different from 08 top clamps in aftermarket clamps (pt). do you guys think its because of the stem?

Yes, the clamps themselves are the same dimensionally. However, if you are buying a full set with a stem they will list them as different part numbers do to the different length stems included in the set.