HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Littlefoot

Michelin Tire size

7 posts in this topic

Originally posted by Littlefoot:

Will a Michelin 140/80-18 fit on my 99 wr400?

How do the Michelin sizes compare to the Dunlop sizes?

They are not the same. I believe, but ain't sure, that the 140 corresponds to a 120/100-18 Dunlop.

I haven't run a Michelin out back in a long time.

Originally posted by Littlefoot:

Hick,

What kind of rear are are you running?

I just got off the phone with Michelin. Michelin 130=Dunlop 110, Michelin 140=120

Thanks for posting the clarification. It never ocurred to me to call Michelin and ask. Gee. :)

I principally ride in sand. Some sugar, some gravel, few rocks. Occasionally I'll ride in the mountains, hardpack and rocks, and occasionally I'll race in the same type of terrain, other events are pure sand washes (usually gravel w/ lots of rocks) and sand whoops.

I run an 120/100-18 Dunlop 739AT in races and if I play ride in the mountains, it is a good crossover tire I think and nearly flat-proof. Not great in sand or mud but not bad.

95% of the time though I run a 120/90-19 (I have two rims, one 18" one 19" :D ) Dunlop 773. Well, that is a new model, and I'm only on my second one, but I love it. Prior to that I mostly ran 756, prior to that I ran the 755 or 752 (I forget, they are very similar).

The 756 also does okay on hardpack, the 773 is a pure sand tire IMO, the 756 is almost as good in the sand, and I'm pretty sure lasts longer. It should, the 773 has thinner knobs.

I've tried a bunch more in front, Michelin S12 was good, Pirelli MT44 I liked even better, it lasted a good long while. The 756 up front might be the most popular tire on this board, so it obviously isn't only good in the sand. Currently I have the 773 up front too and I love it.

I just bought the S12 rear(140/80) and the M12 front. My first trip with my new tires was Saturday and these thinks ROCK, the WR can handle the 140. You will not be disappointed !!!!!

Later,

Pete :)

S-12 140/80/18's Kick A$$.....Thats all I run on my WR...

All other tires are inferior....

Bonzai:D