LAPPING ROTOR.

WHEN YOU LAP THE SHAFT FOR THE ROTOR DO YOU LAP ALL THE WAY UP TO THE STARTER CLUTCH GEAR OR JUST THE ROTOR? I'M GUESSING JUST TO THE ROTOR CAUSE YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO GO ALL THE WAY TO THE BEARING BUT I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE.

BY THE WAY WHEN I TOOK THE SIDE CASE OFF I COULD GET THE ROTOR NUT OFF BY HAND.I THINK IT WAS A LITTLE LOOSE. :)

Just the taper where the rotor fits the shaft

You would lap the parts to the extent that they 'mated' together... that is the area that makes contact, that is all that has to fit properly...

BTW, TYPING IN ALL CAPS IS THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING!!! we can all hear you with normal letters... :)

David

YEAH I KNOW WHAT ALL CAPS MEANS. I USE IT TO MAKE SURE MY POINT GETS ACROSS !! :)

Pardon my lack of machining knowledge, but using lapping compound will remedy the problem, not just show you where there is a poor fit? Just making sure on this one before I have it done.

Cheers,

Sabooo

i'm taking it as the lapping compound will actualy layer it's self to make a secure fit after a few layers. maybe i'm wrong but thats what i'm thinking it does.

I took my bike in when the firskey sheared.The dealer called Yamaha and they instructed them to lap the rotor and retork with loctite.

I Would bring the bike in that way if something happens or a better fix comes along.Yamaha has a rocord of the problem.

Just a thought.

I got my WR yesterday and there was a page added to the owners manual about retorquing the flywheel. I check mine and it was fine.

Lapping compound is an abrasive that removes very small amounts of metal. Done correctly it should remove any nigh spots.

Finally checked the flywheel torque on mine, #1094, it was about 35 lbs. retorqued at 47 lbs. Have not ridden yet.