HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CraigS

426 Flywheel Nut and Impact Wrench?

3 posts in this topic

I am kinda new at working on my bike. I need to remove the flywheel and found a lot of good information by using the search function on this forum. I have the motionpro flywheel puller recommended in another thread, coming tomorrow. There was a lot of good discussions about using an impact wrench to remove the nut holding the flywheel, but no details. What do I need to do to the bike when I use the impact wrench? In gear? In gear and lock the brakes?

Craig

Now for the rest of the story…. After reading many threads here about the AD Cam, I put in a Hotcam. When I was adjusting the valves, I guess I missed the step that said: “Make sure you do not drop the c-clip into the engine.” I spend a few hours today trying to get the c clip out from behind the stator plate, tomorrow (when I get the flywheel puller) I am pulling the flywheel and the stator plate to get that damn clip out. At least it was a nice weekend to sit in the sun trying to get the c clip out.

I am kinda new at working on my bike. I need to remove the flywheel and found a lot of good information by using the search function on this forum. I have the motionpro flywheel puller recommended in another thread, coming tomorrow. There was a lot of good discussions about using an impact wrench to remove the nut holding the flywheel, but no details. What do I need to do to the bike when I use the impact wrench? In gear? In gear and lock the brakes?

Craig

Now for the rest of the story…. After reading many threads here about the AD Cam, I put in a Hotcam. When I was adjusting the valves, I guess I missed the step that said: “Make sure you do not drop the c-clip into the engine.” I spend a few hours today trying to get the c clip out from behind the stator plate, tomorrow (when I get the flywheel puller) I am pulling the flywheel and the stator plate to get that damn clip out. At least it was a nice weekend to sit in the sun trying to get the c clip out.

nothing if your impact gun has some mustard. i just screw the flywheel puller all the way in and zip it off with my gun

When using an impact wrench, never use the transmission to hold against the force of the wrench. Damage can occur as a result of the gears hammering each other like that. A flywheel holder is the ideal thing, but just holding the flywheel by hand with a glove or a rag is adequate.