Ranger says my BRP is too loud, need some advice.

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

In short, my parade was rained on today when a CA park ranger said my bike is too loud. I rang in at 98.5dB and the limit is 96dB.

Do any of you have a suggestion on a decent silencer (or any other tip) that will shave off 2.5dB without compromising performance? My 2001 XR650R is uncorked and properly jetted. I'm using a Pro Circuit exhaust and love the performance I get.

Also, any links to sites that cover this lame CA law which recently changed the dB level from 101dB to 96dB would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance.

I do most of my riding at Hollister Hills located south of San Jose. If any of you ride there (or close by) and want an extra rider to ride with let me know. I'm normally able to ride THUR-SUN, anytime, (disclaimer: schedule subject to change :)).

I'm pretty sure PC makes a quiet core insert for your exhaust system. My bet is that it will effect the performance a little. I have a small post card outling the new db requirements I'll send it to you if you want...Id scan it and email, but my scanner is down. Let me know...Good luck

Before you buy that insert, buy another spark arester screen fron Pro-Circuit, and fill in the screen from the tip to about 1/2 to 2/3 from the bottom with J. B. Weld. A very noticeable sound difference will result. Repack the can if it has been a while. The object of the screen fill, is the the exhaust will flow around the tip, and not cause a blunt blockage, yet you can still have the same size outlet on the back of the can. The screen is only about $25.00, and you can keep the stock one to use elsewhere. It is worth the investment.

Yeah I was thinking PC made a quiet core insert also. Thanks for the postcard offer, marcw's post below provided what I needed.

Thanks for the link. It is exactly what I was looking for. I will give the whites tip a shot if cloryclough's screen fix doesn't do the trick.

Thanks for the tip. I will try the extra screen thing and see what it nets me.

Believe me, it WILL make a difference!

you can have jerry of 4 stroke works (formerly of stroker) make an insert for you. chances are he can make it cheaper than the PC if the screen solution doesn't work out and you want something sano. check his site out but he's sort of oldschool and would prefer a phone call: www.fourstrokeworks.com

he made an insert for my xrs only pipe which rang in at 108 the little insert he made got my bike down to 98 so i could enter enduros.

I have the same T-4 exhaust and the same problem with noise.

I spoke to Pro Circuit, they are in in production of a completely new "quiet" system for the 650r and all other popular 4 strokes. I was told they should be available in about 2 weeks. (don't hold your breath)

Dan