HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rockstar14125

Kickstarter noise?

6 posts in this topic

After riding my yz400 all day and bringing it back home with no problems, I tried to start it at my house to check on a mysterious noise I had heard earlier that day. It took forever to get it started where as it usually only takes 3-4 tries. I noticed I was getting a lot of kickback and one of the times it kicked-back I heard a metallic ping noise. I let it sit for a while thinking I probably flooded it. When I came back over and tried again it fired right up. However, the noise I am wondering about is coming from the kicksrarter. It makes the same noise as when you start it and accidentally hold the kickstarter down except more quiet. I stood the bike up and it seemed to slightly affect the noise making it more quiet and ev en making it stop for a few seconds. Whats going on in there? Is this a $10 spring or a $$$$ rebuild?

Something is dislodged or broken. You're going to need to open it up and see what happened.

I got into my case but I couldent figure out how to get the kickstart shaft out. Also, My freaking oil drain plug is stripped. Should I just +1 the size and tap it or do a timesert or helicoil?