HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guitarnut57

Is this normal?

4 posts in this topic

Before I ask this question, please forgive me of my ignorance of 4 strokes, as I raced 2 strokes my entire life until I made the switch to a 2004 YZ 450 back in November and am pretty much clueless.

Here is what is concerning me. I fired-up my bike tonight before I changed the oil and filter like I do after every ride, and I don't know why I did it, but I stuck my head down next to the outside of the cylinder to listen. Every time I revved the bike a little I noticed somewhat of a clattering/knocking sound that got progressively louder the higher I got into the rpm's. Is this normal for 4 strokes? Do I need to post a vid of it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 04 also from 98 to 09 yz4xxf's are a pretty noisy motor maybe you just never noticed it before?? I am sure Gray will have an answer for you.

1 person likes this

I am a 450 rookie too but I would guess the noise has something to do with your timing chain, tensionor and or guides. But I am not a 4 stroker pro just yet.

1 person likes this

When ever you work on your bike, it always improves your hearing. :thumbsup:

Unless you are familiar with it, you should compare yours to another one before you worry too much about it. Also, if you have a skid plate , that can exaggerate the noise level, and if you R&R'd it for the oil change, it can sound entirely different than it did before you took the plate off.